Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help starting my computer: master password at startup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

I dont know if this the right place to ask this, but here goes.  I bought an everex stepnote model va250e laptop at a pawn shop.  It was powered on at the pawn shop when I checked it and everything on it worked fine.  So I turned it off, bought it, but when I returned home and tried to power it up, the first thing it does on startup is ask for a password, even before I get to the splash screen.  I took it back to the pawn shop, and all they said was 'well it was working when you looked at it over here.  We dont know what you did to it after you took it'.  

All this happened withing half an hour.  Well, anyway, is there anyway I can remove this darn password, or have I just bought myself an expensive paperweight?  Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hi,

Did you get any disks with the computer? With the operating system installation disk you might be able to get past the power on password requirement.

I'm not sure about doing a reformat and reinstall but that might get you to the place where your paper weight becomes more useful.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

I assume that the laptop has been already booted when you try to check it and test it for use. So you bought it without knowing that it will ask for a system password before it would allow you to boot the OS. The only way you could get past that system password is to reset the CMOS or ask the password from the shop from where you bought that laptop.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

dicke:  no I didnt get any disks.  They told me there is a partition the HD that will reload the operating system.  But isnt the master password stored on the motherboard?

Frozwire:  Ya I should have tried to reboot it before I bought it.  The pawn shop guys wont help me cause they say there wasnt a password on the machine, and when I showed them there is now, they said  "I probably put one on there forgot it."  

I took the CMOS battery out and waited for an hour before putting it back, hoping that would clear the master password but no luck.  Anything else I can do 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Does the computer throw out a alpha numeric or numeric code when you put the wrong password in three times?

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

john, i didnt try putting in wrong codes cause wouldnt that lock me out with no way to try any more times?

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

john, its 03071

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I don't think I can help further as it would violate the board rules but I can say that most all BIOS's that throws out a numeric code like this has a backdoor you can use. You will have to get it yourself through Google searching. But because Everex is kind of unique it may not work and if the password is also for the hard drive, you can pretty much forget about it. Everex closed up shop in the U.S. but I don't know if they are still around in other countries. Good Luck.

#9 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I took the CMOS battery out and waited for an hour before putting it back, hoping that would clear the master password but no luck.  Anything else I can do 

Have you also removed the laptop battery and disconnected AC adapter when you removed the CMOS battery?

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Since it was working in the shop...it seems to me that the intelligent thing to do is contact the seller.

Louis

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Since it was working in the shop...it seems to me that the intelligent thing to do is contact the seller.

Louis

I agree but, the 'seller' was a pawn shop and they have taken a 'it's your problem, not ours' attitude with it. One of the many reasons that the 'buyer beware' warning is so needed.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#12 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

Try googling for a program that converts the number to an actually useful code

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

If you are trying to tell me...the pawn shop took in a computer that required a password...never turned it off...and then sold it...I have to laugh :).

"As is" has nothing to do with functional aspect of whatever is ostensibly purchased...who buys a computer that they cannot access and probably don't have a valid license for?

That just doesn't pass the "common sense test" and the pawn shop has nothing to gain by not informing a customer of something that should have been made available at time of sale.

Maybe that's why most websites don't even entertain questions about overcoming password situations presented.

Oh, well...

Louis

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Louis,

I have to say 'amen' to all you said