Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still learning simple things on linux.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

I've been playing with several different OSes (most are pretty good), but now I'm sort of in a pickle.  I had 3 partitions, one with Robolinux, one with Zorin, and I put AVlinux on the other.  Before AVlinux, I could choose which one opened when it booted.  I'm sure if I changed something somewhere I could again.  But now, AVlinux opens, last one installed, and I don't get a choice.  I did manage to save both other OSes tho, getting better.  Also every time I have to put in a password it says it's wrong.  I used the same for every OS I've installed.  I can't get in and change the password until it accepts what I put in.  What would I mess up if I booted with gparted in and reformatted the partition?  I've managed to make partitions, and shrink them, once I managed to enlarge one, but most times I'm clueless to what I need to do with it to add unallocated to another partition unless they are touching.  I say this to show you I know nothing.  I can't even give the right password to this site on that computer now.  Or my google chrome to sync things, and it keeps telling me.  I think I can learn AVlinux in time, but would like to go back to another OS from time to time to do stuff, as they are what I'm used to.  Again any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

While reading instructions on using gparted, it dawned on me that sometimes while installing an operating system, something messes up the grubs needed for booting.  Would it help to run the ubuntu boot repair disk?

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'm going to try an end run now.  boot repair didn't work.  Reinstalled avlinux, now my passwords work, but a lot of the programs don't respond (like before) software center does nothing, synaptic package asks for a password, then nothing, etc.  I will endeavor to redownload the iso and start over, but that usually takes 3 or 4 nights to get a completed download.  I'm way out in the sticks and in the mountains, no cable and limited satellite, limited to nil broadband, and no cell phone service.  I reinstalled zorin and can transfer my files from robolinux there, and then I guess I'll have to either reinstall robolinux, or try something different.  I might try pinguy.  I can access my files on robolinux, but can't start it, must be a grub problem.  

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

I have never used Robolinux or AvLinux.

Using Grub - How to Update Grub after Installing another Operating System.

GRUB 2 GRUB for DOS tutorial

Edited by NickAu1, 20 June 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

My suspicion is that 3 different Linux OS's won't run from the same HDD. Two will, long ago I tried three & something was wrong.

If you want to have 3 Linux OS's together, you need a YUMI Flash drive. Or if just one extra, a Flash drive with the last one only.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

My suspicion is that 3 different Linux OS's won't run from the same HDD

With grub set up right it shouldn't matter.

I tried three & something was wrong.

Yes. Do you remember what by any chance?

Was the new OS detected?

Did you update grub?

Edited by NickAu1, 20 June 2014 - 04:01 AM.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

All 3 operating systems were detected.  I could go into the files on the other systems through thefile folder.  I just could not get any but avlinux to boot.  I was told somewhere on this site I could have 4 partions and as many logical partitions as I wanted.  I only have 500gb on this old machine so 3 and a virtual box whish isn't installed yet, is about all I have room for. I reinstalled Zorin which so far is my favorite, and I can now get zorin, avlinux, and I think I can get robolinux, but I haven't been there yet.  Been getting ready to go fishing with a friend today.  On boot it lists zorin, and 2 different debians.  In avlinux more than 1/2 of the programs I click on, nothing happens.  On the live CD  I at least get warning boxes when I go to synaptic package manager and software center, and a couple graphic and sound programs opened(they didn't after install), but I didn't use.  Nothing happened when I clicked on them after install.   To be honest, I just clicked on some of the programs to see what they were.  After the second install or avlinux, my passwords started to work, and a couple additional programs, still no boot choice, after third, the same as second.  I did the reinstalls on avlinux before I reinstalled zorin.  I only got 2.? gb downloaded last night (avlinux is over 3) so will try again.  It is a big package to download and install, so I'm thinking it might not have downloaded properly.  Winter months I do a lot with music and pictures, and this looks like an interesting OS for those, plus I'm a little stubborn, so I want to get it.  I guess if I don't, no big deal as I have 16 live dvds with with oses on them, plus one with gparted, and one with boot repair.  So I have enough to choose from.  I haven't even tried pinguy or bridge yet, and they are downloaded, plus I'm thinking of giving manjaro and makulu both another try.  One didn't open the programs, and the other kept freezing up, so I would redownload them.   I will check out those grub links when I get some time, they will probably be real useful the way I'm experimenting.  Need to decide soon which to use, but this is sort of fun playing with all of them too.                                                           

Edited by heyyou325, 20 June 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

My suspicion is that 3 different Linux OS's won't run from the same HDD

With grub set up right it shouldn't matter.

I tried three & something was wrong.

Yes. Do you remember what by any chance?

Was the new OS detected?

Did you update grub?

It has been awhile back, so can't recall the exact error. What I do remember, was dual booting Linux MInt & Ubuntu on an external drive, tried to add another (I believe it was Moon OS) & Mint would no longer boot. At the time, I didn't know how to go about fixing these things, so reloaded Mint & started over. It could have been there were too many primaries, did run into that a few times.

This was in my very early days of learning about LInux & was running on external to protect my installed OS, XP Pro at the time. It was a couple of months before Windows 7's release, so that shoud tell, that was lomg ago. Didn't know about VM's back then either, that's how I test new OS's now, if like what I see running in Live mode.

It would be safe to state that we all had such days when starting with Linux. Especially back then, things weren't as easy as today. And even today's there's a learning curve, however much more support than years past.

Just looked, yes it was Moon OS.

http://moonos.linuxfreedom.com/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Strange that, As far as I got into it, and understand it.
It should look something like this

OS1-Partition1
OS2-Partition2
OS3-Partition3
OS4-Partition4
And so on.
Now provided that grub is set up and updated correctly, This may include editing The GRUB configuration file "/boot/grub", When I boot my PC, Grub loads up and says hey look at all these Operating systems, What would you like to boot? I scroll down to the OS I want to boot, Select it, and grub loads that Operating system and the config etc files from that partition and no other in normal set up's. The operating system that you selected to boot will not care how many partitions there are or what is on them, Other than to display them on your desk top as sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 and so on.

Not normal install examples.

Puppy Linux often uses a save file, So Grub would start Puppy from its partition then they would look for the save file.

People who use other Linux and have their home folder on another partition.

Any other wild fancy boot up config that some linuxes are famous for.

33u6dee.jpg

See bottom left corner. Each 1 of those partitions( or Drives) can have a installed os on it. The only partition that matters is the 1 you just mounted when you selected what OS you wanted to boot .

2ag7mur.png

Edited by NickAu1, 20 June 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

People who use other Linux and have their home folder on another partition.

Well, as a test, I've tried something different on the Mint 17 install on the Dell, no separate main & /home partitions. However, that does necessitate backup more often, to retain my installed software & settings, should a reinstall be required (something that can't be done on Windows). I've yet to decide whether or not to keep it this way & there's still a couple of bugs to work out (wobbly graphics being the main one). May end up going with the old way, to preserve VM's, though I've yet to create any so far.

In the past & still have two Mint 17 installs the old way, simply format the main (/) partition, mark the home, but no format, choose swap & let it rip. Some of the installed software & many of the settings, my home folder, plus any extra users folders, remains untouched.

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I love the idea of Home on another partition, In my case Home partition on this PC is a 1TB 5400RPM SATA and the boot drive is 256GB mSATA SSD Boot, I get speed of a SSD with the storage of a HDD. Makes it easier if I need to reinstall the OS, I do not need to re add everything to my home folder.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Until that last install, I always had Home separate, except on VM installs. In that case, I just let VBox configure the install after I created the virtual disk.

There is a good chance I'll redo this, the install is on a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, all by itself & isn't using 10GB of it so far.

What I was trying to avoid, was partition alignment issues. On a typical HDD, there's space between partitions & not rounded in whole MB's. On a SSD, this concerns me, as there not only will be performance drop, but also lower SSD lifespan, both of which needs to be avoided.

It's been stated that the latest versions of Ubuntu, which would include Mint, includes SSD support. The problem is checking & adjusting partition alignment after the install, as any changes often makes the Linux OS unbootable. Plus partition tools that's bootable from CD, will create these partitions, if NTFS will be aligned, but won't when formatted for Linux. So what do I do, format as NTFS, the same sizes that I would set for main & home, make sure of alignment, then format those same ones as ext4 during install?

I've tried looking up how these installs of Ubuntu 14.04 are turning out, all that I can find as they are SSD compatible. No in-depth details. I prefer to see partition offset numbers that I can divide by 4096 & come up with an even number. Or 2048.

This is my first Linux install to SSD.

Cat

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm actually understanding part of this (strange).  On boot. 

OS1-Partition1
OS2-Partition2
OS3-Partition3
OS4-Partition4

I have noticed the last OS installed is on top along with a few other ways to boot in it, like safe mode.  Then the next to last, and other boot options, then the next.  After I installed avlinux, that is all that appeared on the boot (grub I think) screen.  After I finally reinstalled zorin, I had zorin, etc, deb6, etc, then deb (robolinux's number).  I believe avlinux just overwrote the other grubs.  One other time I had 3 OSes operating at the same time, and this is like it was also.  The order could probably be changed if I knew how.  The order seems to have nothing to do with the sda (partition) number.

I love the idea of Home on another partition

If I understand this right, this is what I'm trying to end up with, small partitions, with all files on a different partition.  But don't you need an OS on that partition too?  That is basically what I was doing with robolinux, as I wanted the vm from there, zorin cause it was fast and I had the programs on it I wanted.  And the third partition I would play with for awhile.  Can I make a partition just for files with no operating system?  That would add another thing to try.

Do you agree that I probably should download another iso of avlinux to try it again?  If things were right, I would think all the programs listed would open, but when they did on the live dvd, and not after installed, makes me think it's an installation problem, even after installing it 3 times.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

How do I optimize the OS for SSDs?

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

The order could probably be changed if I knew how

Startup-Manager: A Utility to Edit GRUB Boot-loader related Options Easily in Ubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users