Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vmhost.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 florida_ted

florida_ted

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi, I am recently getting invisible ads. there are no windows open, but I hear commercials in the background and do not know how to stop them. I have run malwarebytes, ccleaner. Still not fixing it...I am not able to run DDS. I am using Windows 8.1 and get an error about compatibility mode. Any suggestions please? Thank you

Same issue as another poster, no response on his yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

That does sound like an infection and those are best handled in the protected environment of the 'I think I'm infected' forum. I'll ask a moderator to move your message there so that you can work with one of the trained volunteers to get the job done right the first time. Please don't get into the do it yourself mode as that can make things worse

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hello I moved you to the Am I Infected forum from Win 8..

Lets try this

Please download aswMBR ( 4.5MB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon, and click Run.
  • When asked if you'd like to "download the latest Avast! virus definitions", click Yes.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan.
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop, then copy and paste it in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks so much you guys! I really trust this place because someone here fixed me up several years ago when something similiar happened. Love you guys for helping me.

-------------------------------

aswMBR version 1.0.1.2041 Copyright© 2014 AVAST Software
Run date: 2014-06-18 20:25:49
-----------------------------
20:25:49.391    OS Version: Windows x64 6.2.9200
20:25:49.391    Number of processors: 4 586 0x2A07
20:25:49.392    ComputerName: xxx-PC  UserName: John
20:25:50.191    Initialize success
20:25:50.192    VM: initialized successfully
20:25:50.194    VM: outdated driver version !
20:25:53.120    AVAST engine defs: 14061800
20:26:20.373    Disk 0 (boot) \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\0000002d
20:26:20.376    Disk 0 Vendor: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF050 AM003M Size: 476940MB BusType: 11
20:26:20.496    Disk 0 MBR read successfully
20:26:20.503    Disk 0 MBR scan
20:26:20.512    Disk 0 unknown MBR code
20:26:20.521    Disk 0 Partition 1 00     EE          GPT           2097151 MB offset 1
20:26:20.623    Disk 0 scanning C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
20:26:29.617    Service scanning
20:26:42.151    Modules scanning
20:26:42.167    Disk 0 trace - called modules:
20:26:42.167    
20:26:42.432    AVAST engine scan C:\WINDOWS
20:26:44.772    AVAST engine scan C:\WINDOWS\system32
20:29:32.003    AVAST engine scan C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
20:29:45.874    AVAST engine scan C:\Users\John
20:34:03.558    AVAST engine scan C:\ProgramData
20:34:44.405    Scan finished successfully
20:39:36.592    Disk 0 MBR has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\John\Desktop\MBR.dat"
20:39:36.592    The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\John\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Re-Run aswMBR
  • Click Scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the FIXMBR button
  • There is a slight pause after clicking the 'FIXMBR' button.
  • Wait for the tool to report 'Infection fixed successfully', now reboot the machine.
  • Rebooting the machine prematurely, before seeing this line will result in an incomplete fix.

Note:After the 'Infection fixed successfully' message appears, the machine may became unresponsive. You may have to do a hard boot of your machine. That may be a side effect from the fix. All will be well after the reboot.

• Save the log as before and post in your next reply.
How is it?

Thanks!!

Edited by boopme, 18 June 2014 - 07:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

It says "Disk 0 MBR fix error" when I attempt this.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Re-Run aswMBR
  • Click Scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the FIXMBR button
  • There is a slight pause after clicking the 'FIXMBR' button.
  • Wait for the tool to report 'Infection fixed successfully', now reboot the machine.
  • Rebooting the machine prematurely, before seeing this line will result in an incomplete fix.

Note:After the 'Infection fixed successfully' message appears, the machine may became unresponsive. You may have to do a hard boot of your machine. That may be a side effect from the fix. All will be well after the reboot.

• Save the log as before and post in your next reply.

#8 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Tried this again, a  whole bunch of times, same result. Tried rebooting first, used the default quick scan, also scanned C:....at my rope's end. Anything else we can try? Thanks.

[edit] same as "Disk 0 MBR fix error" before

Edited by florida_ted, 19 June 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#9 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Howdy and good morning! Any updates, anything else I can try? Sorry if I'm sounding impatient...gettin a little desperate here!

Thanks!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

OK, we can start over but in a new topic. Where we can get a deeper look and use more powerful tools.. Repost your issue  by using this..
Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

#11 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

This is the first thing I tried before posting..see original post:  ".I am not able to run DDS. I am using Windows 8.1 and get an error about compatibility mode"

How do I get DDS to work in Windows 8.1? I just keep getting the error about compatibility mode when trying it.

thanks

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Ok ,,, You cannot run DDS on Win8/// Just make the new topic..with your issue and mention you have Win 8 and cannot use DDS. they will take it like that.

#13 florida_ted

florida_ted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

K thanks...doing it now.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Referfence:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538269/windows-8-vmhostexe-virus-cannot-use-dds/ .

Now that you have properly posted a malware log topic, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users