Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I like to live, dangerously

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

So I run an up-to-date W8 laptop, and I don't think I've ever had a serious problem.

I generally stay on well-known sites, nothing funny ever, but with the mass of viruses lately, is there a visible way for me to tell if I'm infected?

Every few months i'll feel the need to download MBAM and clean up, but otherwise I don't feel like I need to do anything. I only have windows defender.

More or less I'm a pretty competent computer user, but it's just that I've never seen my computer visibly have issues.

Yes, I have miscellaneous issues like a frozen desktop (everything else works fine), but I just can't interact with it, but... otherwise I see nothing wrong.

Mod Edit Moved to appropriate form. ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 18 June 2014 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Defender in Windows 8 includes MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), so that and Malwarebytes are pretty good protection.  You should be behind a firewall.  If you're behind a router, that's a hardware firewall, and Windows has a software firewall.  It's best to have both.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

The keyword(s) to remember here are 'real-time protection'. Any app that offers real time protection will immediately notify you of a virus or malware infection.

The downside is that most RTP apps are not free. I'd say about 10% of the apps out there are free to use, such as AVG and MBAM.

You seem to be in a good place and of sound mind, so I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT: The frozen desktop can be helped, if you wish to pursue that I would post a topic (if you haven't already) in the Win8 forum.

#4 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Ok thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users