Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor connects on/off randomly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 melyy3

melyy3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

I am using dual monitors that are connected: 1 using a regular VGA cable to the VGA port, and the second one is connected with a VGA->HDMI converter (linked the product for reference).

This second monitor that is connected through this adapter often looses connection, as in the screen turns black for a few seconds and then comes back up. At first I thought the converter was faulty but I noticed that this happens more frequently when I am running certain programs (i.e. when I run something on full screen for example). So I suspect that the computer is also at fault for this problem.

I have tried switching the monitors around and the problem persists with the monitor that I connect using the VGA->HDMI converter.

Does anyone have any advice as to why this is happening and what I should do to fix it?

Thank you for your help and sorry if it is in the wrong section, first time user.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Welcome,

I run dual monitors but have a card which provides me with two DVI ports so that the monitors connect directly to the card. It is big enough and bad enough to run them both for all my needs - but I don't really stress them all that much.

Running more than one monitor also requires more power for the graphics card.

For a unified solution I would take a long hard look at my requirements and then select a card and monitors that will meet those requirements. Before installing anything I'd then verify that the power supply will handle the load. All of this will generate more heat so your cooling solution for the case also needs to be reviewed and upgraded if necessary.

You don't mention your OS but as the versions get higher the load increases on the CPU as well so don't forget to include that cooling solution in your research.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

The product you linked is not a VGA to HDMI converter. It's an HDMI to VGA. They're not the same. It means that your monitor should be VGA and the port from the PC should be HDMI. You might be using it in reverse which will never work.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 melyy3

melyy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

The product you linked is not a VGA to HDMI converter. It's an HDMI to VGA. They're not the same. It means that your monitor should be VGA and the port from the PC should be HDMI. You might be using it in reverse which will never work.

Sorry I guess I did not clarify myself. The monitor is VGA and the port I am connecting it to on the PC is HDMI. The monitor connects fine, the problem is that it blinks in/out randomly; more frequently when i drag certain programs to that monitor.

Edited by melyy3, 19 June 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

So you are converting an HDMI signal to a VGA signal in order to display it on your monitor. Correct?

I'm not surprised that moving graphics cause monitor blinking. [sort of like using an Indy car on a kiddy cart track]

My guess is that the blinks are when the video is being flushed in an attempt to get a new screen displayed.

A different / better monitor [or maybe a good TV] would seem like a better device to attempt an HDMI display

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

check the display resolution. The VGA monitor may not be able to handle the resolution setting of the HDMI port. Try to lower it down. Check also the frequency setting of the monitor.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 mehrdeutig

mehrdeutig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Any solution here?   I am having the same issue.    Got a new HP Spectre high end laptop running Windows 10 and wanted to use my old Samsung SyncMaster 2494 VGA monitor so I had to buy a HDMI to VGA converter.   Most of the time the monitor works fine using the monitor in SECOND SCREEN ONLY mode but it flashes on and off occasionally.  

I'd like a new HDMI monitor at my primary work place but would like to be able to use this monitor at a 2nd location and not have the annoyance. 

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

@mehrdeutig #7

Are you aware that the last post in this topic is dated June 2014 ?  The best thing you can do is start your own topic in the 'External Hardware' section of BC for advice on getting these two items to connect properly.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users