Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A multitude of problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purat111

purat111

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

Original Topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533607/big-problem-with-windows-updates/

As the title says, lots of things have been happening with my computer recently. A few months ago it would not boot, but I had it checked out in the Malware Removal forums, and it all seemed to work fine. The first oddity would be that it would not update to Windows 8.1 Update – all other updates installed fine, but not the big one (it did not even appear in the list). Then, recently, there have been several more issues:

• Random crashes/freezes with explorer.exe
  • Occasionally, apps will not open, a registry restore is required.
  • Photoscore give a random ‘SERIOUS ERROR!’ message for no particular reason – it did not used to happen, and does not happen on my laptop. I’ve reinstalled it several times, the issue persists.
  • Adobe Acrobat requests activation after every restart, meaning I have to enter my key and log in all over again (it is a legitimate 3-PC copy, the problem does not happen on my laptop).
  • The ‘Change Windows Features appears blank.

I have tried the following fixes for the Windows Update Issue:

1. Use MS troubleshooter – could not fix problems.
  2. Used Windows Repair All In One – did not fix problems.
  3. Ran sfc /scannow , returned ‘Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service’. Also tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows\ which returned the same message.
  4. Ran a HP Hardware Check, no problems.
  5. Checked for outdated drivers, none found.
  6. Ran a Disk Check – fixed file system issues, but problem persists.

--DISM.exe – This Was Interesting—

I tried to run DISM, as suggested by various online sites. The following commands were attempted:

• DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth returned ‘The component store cannot be repaired.”
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth returned ‘This version of %1 is not compatible with your system blah blah blah.
  • DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup returned the same thing.

My computer is running Windows 8.1 and was preloaded with Windows 8.  There are no system restore points before the start of the issue. Although I can do a complete factory reset, it will take A LOT of time as many of my original program CDs are outdated and I will have to hunt down serial numbers. If that is the case, I would rather wait for Windows 9! :)

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Although I can do a complete factory reset, it will take A LOT of time as many of my original program CDs are outdated and I will have to hunt down serial numbers.

Be a good idea to do this anyhow ;)

Sounds like a corrupted HDD...did you attempt a System Refesh?

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

I agree with Netghost56, I'd back up any data I didn't want to lose, then bite the bullet and restore to factory settings.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $50 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'll have a look at the factory restore. I don't think its a HDD issue as chkdsk fixed a few, and an Extended HDD Test through the hardware diagnostics does not find anything. Thanks for the quick responses. I might hold off the restore, as I remember that upgrading to Windows 8.1 took about five hours. However if it is the only option, I will indeed bite the bullet and reset. Just a side note, I have heard of people doing Repair Installs with Windows 7 - is this possible on 8 or not?

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

You can create a repair drive on a flash drive using the Recovery applet of the Control Panel in 8.1.  Bear in mind that it will erase anything on the flash drive in the process.  Once created you can boot from it and run the repair.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users