Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

My son's laptop won't boot up anymore. It seems to start up okay, but then a window comes up saying there was a problem and asking if we want to search the internet for a solution. However, before we can do anything, the computer freezes. To turn it off, all we have to do is touch the on button. We don't have to hold it down even for a second.

We are able to start up fine in safe mode. The computer has Norton and Avast installed. We would like to get rid of Norton, but that proved difficult to do. (He has Kaspersky he can put on the laptop.)

Any advice on what we could try in order to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Edited by Kaityf, 18 June 2014 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

You can download a Norton Removal Tool. It's actually made by Norton for this reason.

Next time you're in Safe Mode, in the search box type 'msconfig' without the ' . In the box that appears select the Startup tab, and then select Disable All. Then select Apply. Reboot. If you still having trouble, do the same steps, only this time instead of Startup select the Services tab. Check the box at the bottom marked "Hide all Microsoft services", then uncheck all the options that remain. Reboot.

Post back if anything changes, good or bad.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

We followed your instructions and after the first step (disabling Startup), the laptop booted up. However, it has no Internet connection and no sound (audio output).  He also tried opening the control panel and it's not responding. The computer didn't freeze, though.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

That's good. You probably need to re-enable the sound manager and the wifi manager. I'm not sure which one you have- you can figure it out yourself, or type up a list of the Startup programs you're seeing and I can tell you which ones they are.

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Oops. Hangon....He's working on it now.  He does have an Internet connection.  He's working on the sound, telling me that there was a problem with it before. Now the control panel is working. It looks like your suggestion fixed the problem. But it's odd that things got hung up when he first tried them. Not sure if everything is the way it should be or not.  I'm guessing he should do a virus scan.  Yes? Any recommendations for something to do a thorough scan?

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yes it sounds like either a virus/malware issue, or a driver issue. The former can be done without too much in depth research.

As I am not allowed to do malware removal on this site I would recommend doing a scan with either FARBAR or DDS and starting a topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum- post the log along with a brief description of the issues and what you've done so far. Also make sure to mention all the specs of the system (model laptop, what version of windows, size of hard drive, etc) that you know.

By any chance do you have random music or radio ads playing in your laptop speakers?

#7 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Do you think the sound is connected to this problem he had?  He did tell me that he had lost the sound before he had the problem with the boot up. I'm betting he got some kind of virus. When he was finally able to boot up and get to the Internet, he found that his default search engine was no longer Google.

#8 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Heh. Funny you should mention random music or ads playing on the laptop. Mine does that every once in a while. I'll check with him about it on his laptop and have him do a scan with FARBAR or DDS and then post in the other forum. He's so pleased he can finally boot up his laptop. Thank you so much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users