Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somewhat Frequent Pc Freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 omikron

omikron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hi, I'm using Windows XP SP2 with all the recent patches installed. I've got an NVidia fx5500 video board, 2 hard-drives, 256 mbs of ram (had 512 but sadly about a week ago one of the ram sticks failed :thumbsup:). My mobo is a VIA vt800.
Now since like 2-3 days ago my PC seems to freeze for no apparent reason while EITHER playing a game or just using Yahoo's messenger.
I've tried to find&fix a problem myself but have failed to find anything wrong! I have scanned it for viruses, rootkits, spyware/malware, I've used scandisk on all of the drives, I've also defragmented both of the hard-drives. I've run memtest on my remaining memory and it's perfectly ok. I don't currently have the via 4in1 pack installed as that caused me a lot of trouble with some older games due to (i think) the AGP driver which somehow managed to, at random intervals, corrupt the display badly requiring me to restart.
My video board driver is 84.21.
If anyone has any other idea I could try I'd be really thankful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

If it has only been occurring for the last two or three days try Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a date that precedes the onset of the occurrences.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Another idea would be to check the requirements of the game you are playing. If it requires more than 256 MB of RAM, that could be the problem.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 omikron

omikron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

I can`t use system restore as I absolutely loathe it and have disabled it since I last re-installed my OS.
The RAM is appropriate for the games I`m playing since I meet the "optimum" requirements for the games I`m playing, and I`m also NOT playing them on max details.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

I can`t use system restore as I absolutely loathe it and have disabled it since I last re-installed my OS.
The RAM is appropriate for the games I`m playing since I meet the "optimum" requirements for the games I`m playing, and I`m also NOT playing them on max details.

What do you not like about System Restore?

It is one of the best ideas Microsoft ever had!

If you had it enabled, and had an appropriate restore point, your problem could be instantly resolved!

The option you now have is to reload Windows again.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 May 2006 - 10:19 AM.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hmmm It seems that this started just after you went back to 256 Mb ram. I think the first ting you should do is replace the missing Ram. You have an application probably running in the background that is used to that much Ram and until you figure out which one it is you are going to have this problem. At various times open the Task Manager and check your processes to possibly see which app it is.

#7 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Is your motherboard built by VIA or is it just the chipset? I just looked on VIA's website and the only motherboards I found were nano and mini-ITX size units.

Reason I ask is, I would expect this problem to be pretty common among owners of your motherboard, since the FX5500 is a popular graphics chip. If there is a BB dedicated to your brand of motherboard I would check there to see if there are topics posted. Also I would check the mfr's support (both vid card and mobo) to see if this issue may have been addressed by a driver upgrade.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

If you removed a stick of RAM because it was bad, how do you know the other stick isn't bad?

Freezing you describe is common to bad memory.

Not only that, but Windows XP does not run well with only 246MB RAM. It does far too much swapping to the page file and that not only slows it down, but in my humble opinion, causes errors that can kill your computer.

I recommend that you test the memory with either Memtest86 or Microsoft Memory Tester. You need to be able to burn an .iso on a CD or a floppy. You can start the computer with the bootable disk and let it run the test overnight to see what it comes up with. It's also possible that you've got a power supply problem or an overheating problem. (Bad power supplies ruin memory!)

If it turns out that your remaining memory stick is good, I recommend you get more memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users