Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access wireless home network on laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 757Pirate

757Pirate

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

I can access internet from other devices in home but my personal laptop spontaneously dropped wifi access to home network yesterday.  I can connect through personal hotspot on cell phone.

I have a Dell Inspirion laptop.  I access wifi through Linksys EA3500 router.  I have DSL service through Cox Communication.  The router is located on the second floor of our home and location has never been a problem.  Router is new, was replaced about a month ago.  

Help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like wifi got disabled on your machine. You may have a switch somewhere on the sides or top of the laptop if you give the exact model I can find this for you. Make sure this is switched on. It's your adapter on & off button/switch. You also may have a function key & another button located on the F keys that looks like wifi signals hold function and press that. 

That's probably the most logical solution, but to get a bit deeper. Can you see any wireless networks when you click the wifi icon in the bottom right hand corner of your screen? If you don't still might be the wifi switch/button. Also possible the adapater got disabled or the driver is malfunctioning. But provide some details to my questions/suggestions above and we can dig deeper.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Have you power cycled the router?  It is also possible that the router is failing.  Being new actually increases the chances as most electronics that fail do it in the first 90 days.

#4 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

I doubt its the router though, since his/her phone connected fine. But I suppose its possible that the link between the machine and router is flawed so worth a shot. & rebooting the computer wouldn't hurt either.

EDIT: His/her

Edited by joshmartin, 18 June 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#5 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies... I have checked the switch and adapter etc.  Have tried re-booting etc.  I can see additional networks when checking utility etc.  Have also recycled the modem and the router..  The utility indicates I am on my home network... but it continues to cycle for authentication and fails everytime.  I am FRUSTRATED!!!.. However, I can get online (and I am online on this computer) through my cellphone personal hotspot...... :smash:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Pleae do the following. Right click the Wireless Adapter in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post. Thanks

#7 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thanks guys... all you all...  I finally contacted Linksys support and after an hour ... we worked it out... Just a configuration problem through their website..  All good!!  Thanks for your help and thank goodness for Bleeping Computer help..  You have saved us repeatedly in time and money!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad it got sorted out. So the Linksys configuration settings is through their website?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users