Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer will only start in 'Safe Mode'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MoeJazz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

My computer will only start in safe mode. When I try to start it normal it flashes a jumbled grey screen for a second and then a blue screen with writing for a second (flashes so fast I don't have time to read what it says). Then takes me to the screen that says 'Windows was not shut down properly...' and gives me start-up options including Safe Mode, safe mode with networking or normal. If I try to start it normal it just does the same thing all over again. It starts and works fine it in safe mode and safe mode with networking, I can do everything I normally do in safe mode except there is no sound. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

You didn't say what version of Windows you have, so I'll assume Windows 7.  The first thing I'd do would be to run SFC.  Click start and in the search box type CMD.  Then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the ensuing command prompt, type sfc /scannow.  

Next run MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab (Note: avoid the other tabs).  There you'll see a list of things being started when you boot up in normal mode.  You can uncheck anything there except your antivirus.

Next you could run Malwarebytes.  Download it to a flash drive on another computer, then plug the flash drive into your computer and install it.  If you can boot to Safe Mode with networking, do that and get Malwarebytes up to date, then do a scan.  When the scan finishes, click the button to quarantine all the things it finds.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dolphin365

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

No sound drivers can be loaded in your safe mode as, it is programed to behave like that. but since then you may install, but very tedious process.

Better complete alll works in safe mode and come to normal mode to hear music and video related things.

#4 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,152 posts
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Please do the following ins Safe Mode with Networking.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.
When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.
Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.
The following screen will appear, click on Yes.
The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.
In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:
• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files
Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users