Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty Clone, Old HDD dead, No Windows 7 CD. HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MisterSeek

MisterSeek

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

I recetly went through the arduous task of cloning my mothers failing Seagate HDD.  Eventually I managed to bypass all the errors and clone through dd-rescue.  Long story short the it was freezing at "Starting Windows" and then restarting.  I made a bootable usb for a windows 7 recovery ISO (Yes I dowloaded it considering Windows was preinstalled and they did not give us a disk, and the old Hard drive was too badly damaged to image a recovery).  Anyway, it worked momentarily until I ran CCleaner and cleaned the registry.  It then rebooted showing two separate instances of windows 7. Regular and Home Pro. The home pro read as the size of the new HD.  I booted and it told me windows was not genuine and not only would explorer keep failing I started to receive numerous error messages including there is no Path for ... anything.... About this time I restart and the old HD registers again, so in a desperate and lapse of judgement attempt I booted into the recovery usb and dragged the system files to the new HD, needless to say it does not work.  It tells me preparing desktop every time I boot, multiple error messages, no way to access files.  How do I potentially salvage what is in my docs, downloads and programs and get the proper system files so when I boot it will be normal again.  I have 3 partitions, a useless recovery I presume, the primary with OS and boot, and a third I can't quite remember at the moment.  Anyway, hope I have provided enough detail. Thanks.

Sincerely,

misterseek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

At this time you would probably be best off backing up the data and reloading Windows.  You can download the Windows 7 ISO from Digital River.  The link are in this Microsoft thread.

Pull the drive and attach it to another machine to copy the data off.

You can copy the data and downloads, but programs will need to be reinstalled.  Normally you want the non-hidden files from C:\Users\USERNAME where USERNAME is the name of the user that you want the data from.  This may be Owner or Administrator on a manufactured machine.

After you have the data off of the drive.  Format and reinstall Windows.  You will want to download drivers from the manufacturer's website.  Specifically you want the chipset, network, and video drivers.  After those are installed the machine should be sufficiently operational to do the rest on the fresh install.

#3 MisterSeek

MisterSeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

I suppose unless there are any other suggestions I now am tasked with finding someone with a functional Desktop or old HDD to do this with. Thanks mate.  Still open to suggesions though until I get back to the old abode. Equipped with USB.

**EDIT** So... Even afer changing up bad system files and even (Yes I forgot to mention) taking the system 32 folder from an old copy of windows vista and merging it to the windows 7 copy *not quite creating your own kernal* for a shot in the dark to compensate for missing or corrupted files.... will it still recognize the original windows 7 Home premium? It does in the boot at least for now.

Thanks,

MisterSeek

Edited by MisterSeek, 18 June 2014 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users