Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 pop up ads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terry2030

Terry2030

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I have changed over from Win XP to Win 7, like a lot of people I guess.  Don't ask me for my personal opinion of Win 7, you don't want to go there.  Now to the problem that I hope you can solve.  I can be on any web page and a pop up screen with a box that says "your flash player needs to be updated" or your "FLV need to be up dated".  You look in the location bar and it reads something like "adobaaon.us/flashplayer" or "www.adcash.com" or "ilivlite.com"  I did not ask for these or do anything to get these pop up.  Now understand this is just not one of these but 4 or 5 at a time all saying something different.  Like one was from "ibpzz.playon.giftglue.eu"  or "downloadri.com".  List goes on.

I go to Windows Media Player and check to see if it needs an update but my Windows programs are up dated automaticly.

I hope you get the idea.  I need someone who can tell me how to stop this mess.

Thank you for any and all help,

Terry2030

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2014 - 10:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Since you didn't say which browser you're using, I'll assume Internet Explorer (IE).  Click the gear, then Internet Options, then Privacy tab.  Make sure the option is turned on in the check box that says "Turn on pop-up blocker".  Download Malwarebytes and install it.  Get it up to date and do a scan.  When it finishes the scan, click the box that says "Quarantine all items".

By the way, MS changed some things (to confuse the innocent? :wink:) in Windows 7 that are confusing at first, but give it a few weeks, and you'll get used to it.  I've been using it since it came out, and it's been rock solid for me and the 28 computers I support.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 18 June 2014 - 10:41 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Terry2030

Terry2030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

I am using Firefox but I'll us the same info.  I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes.

Terry2030

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Firefox doesn't have that option, but you're in luck: You can download the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox. Works great.

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus, NoScript, and WOT (Web of Trust) plugins. Makes for pretty secure browsing.

#5 Terry2030

Terry2030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

My FireFox has that option but it didn't work.  I will try Adblock Plus Extension, no Script, WOT.

Follow up to come.

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

I've gone to a few sites, that will tell me the same thing, when I know flash is installed.  This means one of several things:

1.  The detection routine is looking for the wrong version (e.g. you have version 13 installed, but they're looking for 12).  They could be looking for version =12, not version >=12, for example.

2.  They're trying to get you to install a bogus copy of "flash player", that will infect your computer.

3.  Look at your add-ons, a few of them could be blocking things, and the settings needs to be adjusted.

I always presume #2, because there are very few sites I go to that use flash, so block that site permanently.  Its better to be safe than sorry.

Best of luck.

#7 Terry2030

Terry2030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Netghost56, Well I got to hand it to you. Adblock Plus works ! I haven't had a pop up yet. I do get a Bar at the bottom of the page, from Adblock, that says "Scripts Currently Forbidden" with an options box. As far as pop ups no worries. Thank you, Terry2030

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users