Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which monitor should I get?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jordss

Jordss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

I am really having a hard choice of choosing a new monitor, it's either a 24" OR a 27" (Not both) They are both 1920 X 1080 (Both the same model, just different sizes) My current monitor is only 18.5" which I thought was big until I saw these other ones. It's pretty bad hence why I want a new one. I don't know weather it's worth the extra 3" or not really, I sit about 25-30" away from my monitor, I play a lot of browser games and big download games like Planetside and APB etc. I just don't want it to be too big as I'm too close and I don't know weather I should pay the extra money for an extra 3 inch? The 27 inch is £245 and the 24 Inch is £169.99. Also I'm wanting to put my Xbox 360 onto the monitor (2 HDMI ports) But I am used toplaying that on a smaller screen anyway. Would you notice any difference between the two? Like seeing the bigger pixels from where I'm sat and worse picture quality ( Both 1920 X 1080) Hope you can help me decide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Well for one you would need to link your monitors but if you're looking for a "gamer" monitor for xbox. A lot of gamers use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HSKSMI/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=43304392164&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15087866846613303252&hvpone=179.99&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_nd7gvmzje_b 

This is by far one of the most popular. It's 24 inches so should be good for what you're looking for.

#3 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Ok sorry, I don't know how to make a link so will just have to put the address sorry! 24 inch monitor is this one: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/samsung-ls24d590-full-hd-23-6-led-monitor-22070271-pdt.html The 27 inch is this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/monitors-and-projectors/pc-monitors/samsung-ls27d590-full-hd-27-led-monitor-22070270-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~~ I've seen three others if you are willing to look and help find the better choice/quality one. If not then them two are my main two! Also that monitor looks quite good!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

The size is really up to you.  At work I use a 27" as my main monitor with a 22" as my secondary.  The resolution is the same on both monitors meaning that everything is larger on the 27".  Personally for me the price difference you're looking at isn't worth the 3" increase in size.  I have three 24" at home and they are fine.

#5 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

I agree with Kilroy, I probably couldn't do the price difference for 3 more inches for your particular needs. 24 should be fine.

But please note, your monitors you listed have 5ms response time. Which doesn't seem like much but if you want the best experience gaming wise for your xbox I would take a double check for the benq monitor I listed in the UK. It has a 1ms response time. It's noticeable, trust me. Plus I think they are roughly around the same price? Just search for benq gaming monitor on a UK site.

#6 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

I will look around for the price of the benQ one in the UK now and see if I can find a cheap price, Here are the other 2 monitors if you could take a look! http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/aoc-i2769vm-full-hd-27-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21707491-pdt.html http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/aoc-i2369vm-full-hd-23-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21408588-pdt.html Again they are the same model but different sizes, do you think these are any better than the other two? Also because they are the same monitor, same resolution but bigger, would you notice the bigger pixels or worse picture quality when you're sitting the same distance as you would a 24 inch? Looking at that benQ one now too!

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Provided that the content is at the monitor's native resolution you won't notice the pixels.

#8 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yeah unless you're smashing your face to the screen you aren't going to see pixels lol. Also, if you want to size up a 27" just head over to bestbuy/apple store and check out the 27" imac. That will give you an idea of what to expect. 

#9 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hmmm, I really don't know lol. I like the specs of the benQ one but I love the looks of the samsung one (I'm picky I know) but it's only 5ms. Can you notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms? And would it effect computer gaming and what it would look like when using the Xbox on the monitor?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Where you might notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms is fast action.  This is really a personal issue, while I might not notice it, you may and vice versa.  I want to say when we were going from CRTs to LCDs 8ms was the lowest speed that was acceptable.

I recently purchased Three HP W2371d 23-inch LED LCD Monitors and they have a 5ms response time.  I don't notice it playing World of Warcraft, but did notice it on a movie, but I don't know if the movie source was the cause of the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users