Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whatever it is, it's made my computer just about useless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Enigma-M

Enigma-M

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

I'm not sure if this is malware or virus or some other issue. It just happened out of no where. Past few weeks my computer has been having little stutters when doing certain things like loading up a game or a program, but only for a second so I ran a virus scan in AVG and Malwarebytes. Both came up with nothing, so I didn't think much of it. But a few days ago my computer booted into CHKDSK out of no where and did that a few times. And since then the stutters have gotten worse, to the point of happening when doing almost anything. And now it just freezes everything for anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute. But not like a normal freeze, I'm still able to move my mouse around and change to different windows, but I can't interact with anything. This is happening from the moment I start my computer. I've noticed that when this happens task manager shows all cpu usage drop to 0%. And now I've been getting this error sometimes when I turn my computer on http://puu.sh/9yLNN/e9cb915735.jpg. I unplug everything but that doesn't fix it, I just keep trying to reboot until it eventually does boot properly.

I'm running Windows 7 with an i7 2600k cpu, an AMD Radeon HD 6950 1gb GPU and 8gb of ram.

I'm really not sure what to do or how to fix this. It seems to work fine in safe mode, without any issues. And I believe it was working normally when I tried a clean boot yesterday, but now not even trying to clean boot is solving it.

I really hope someone here can help me fix this. I will try anything I can to fix this.

EDIT: I just rebooted it and it gave me a black screen saying "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot" or something like that. I restarted it and it booted to some other screen with some text on it that I didn't get to read, but it seemed suss. Then it went back to showing me this http://puu.sh/9yLNN/e9cb915735.jpg and then after a few attempts it booted into Windows 7. Could this be a rootkit or something?

Edited by Enigma-M, 18 June 2014 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Hi Enigma-M and welcome to BleepingComputer! :)

So, can you boot into windows now? Or your computer stuck at the screen you had show me?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 Enigma-M

Enigma-M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi Enigma-M and welcome to BleepingComputer! :)

So, can you boot into windows now? Or your computer stuck at the screen you had show me?

Thank you.

No I was able to boot up after multiple tries. And I think I may have acted hastily and made a mistake.  :(

I decided since I've been wanting to for a while that I was going to re-install Windows 7 and start clean, so I did thinking it would also fix the issue. I made a Windows 7 service pack 1 boot usb and re-installed it (Also formatted the C drive while I was installing it in the boot usb). And the problem is still here. All I've installed is the ethernet driver and AVG and yet it's still dropping CPU usage to 0% and making everything unresponsive randomly for random periods of time.

And to add to the problem, now windows is not accepting my product key and is telling me "The software licensing service reported that the computer bios is missing a required license". I'm using the CD Key I got from this http://puu.sh/9Ak0X/faefb98a63.PNG

EDIT: If this is a virus or a rootkit the fresh install would have removed it right? If it is might it have survived since I only formatted the C partition and not the D partition or the 100mb system reserved partition? Or may this be caused by something else?

ANOTHER EDIT: I just rebooted the computer and it booted into CHKDSK again (I don't think it found anything). But now it keeps booting into startup repair or showing this screen again http://puu.sh/9yLNN/e9cb915735.jpg and it can't repair anything in startup repair.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Could this be a hard drive issue? Is it possible my hard drive is at the end of its lifespan?

Edited by Enigma-M, 19 June 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

This is strange, but mostly if your HDD is going to fail, there won't be anything to do with BIOS license, since it's not related. (But I won't cut that reason off yet.)

Some computer manufactures use OEM SLP windows, and when you install the OS, windows will find special instructions in your hardware and activate itself, but in your case, windows cannot find that instruction so your key cannot be use, this is quite strange case. Maybe your key looking tool is wrong, you install different version of windows that not match the instruction, or there's something wrong with CPU/board that make "special instructions" unreachable.

After formatting C drive, some of rootkit may still in your HDD.

I'm currently suspect:

• CPU
  • Mainboard
  • RAM (less likely)
  • HDD (less likely)

If you try to boot from your Windows 7 boot USB, did http://puu.sh/9yLNN/e9cb915735.jpg appears?

How you make that bootable USB? Where you download the setup file?

Which brand is your computer?

Did you have anyway to remove the HDD and test on other machines?

Currently I cannot say anything much, but I will try to gather the information as much as possible.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users