Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Beeps on Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SallyWen

SallyWen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

Recently my laptop started beeping on start up. It would beep continuously until I pressed a key on the keyboard, which then it would beep 20-30 more times before continuing start up

My keyboard is somewhat broken. A few keys don’t work, and the "8" key sometimes starts typing repeatedly, and only stops when pressing another working key.

I also use an external keyboard, but pressing on it doesn't stop the beeping or the 8s.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C640, running Windows 7.

BIOS: Insyde 2.10.

What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by SallyWen, 17 June 2014 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Can you find and post your BIOS version so someone can help you further??

Start........In search box type Run

hit Enter

In run box type msinfo32

hit Enter

On the System Summary page you should see the BIOS version listed.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SallyWen

SallyWen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

It is Insyde 2.10

#4 SallyWen

SallyWen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

On further checkup, the 20-30 beeps after are not continuous. There are two pauses somewhere in between.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

I believe your best option would be to replace the keyboard. You will need to be careful with the ribbon cable. To keep the 8's from repeating, disable your laptop keyboard in device manager, with the external keyboard attached. You may be able to disable the keyboard in BIOS which would be the best option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvYD6k44wjE

#6 SallyWen

SallyWen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Would disabling the laptop keybaord, and just using the external keyboard solve the problem?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

I believe it would. If the disable option is not available in Device Manager for the keyboard. You could uninstall it but it would come back at the next reboot.

#8 SallyWen

SallyWen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

However, I'm nervous that by disabling the keyboard, I might not be able to start my laptop, because without pressing the laptop keyboard, the beeps don't stop. So if the problem is not the keyboard, I wouldn't be able to start my laptop.

Would just removing the laptop keyboard sufice?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yes, that would work. You could remove the ribbon cable from the connector and replace the keyboard. That would be the safer option as you could always connect it back if the beeps continue but I don't believe it would. Just make sure you remove the battery and unplug any power cord before you do it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#10 SallyWen

SallyWen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thank you veuy much! it worked.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Great! Thanks for update. You may want to consider replacing the keyboard with the one I linked to on Ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users