Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movies on USB Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 40cooper

40cooper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hello. Hopefully someone can help me with this strange problem. I've googled this and found virtually nothing. So, here it is:

I have a bunch of movies in MP4 format saved to an external hard drive connected to my pc. I have no trouble playing those movies through my computer, from said xhd. I also sometimes transfer them to an 8gb flash drive and still they play perfectly fine. Recently, my dad bought a 512gb kingston flash drive and wanted to "borrow" some of my movies. I transferred 4 movies, no problems at all. They all played. Then, I added another, but this 1 wouldn't play. First, it gave an error, "cannot render file". Then, when I opened the folder again, the movie file was gone completely. *scratching head*

Sooo, we assumed the flash drive was at fault, since he bought it from china, and he bought a toshiba 64 gb flash drive instead. Same exact problem. 1st 4 movies, fine, but on the 5th movie, it's a no go.

The movies are all MP4's and only 1-2 gb's each, so plenty of room on the drives. And again, they play fine everywhere, except when I put 5 of them on a flash drive. I actually have about 100 on my xhd, so I have no idea what's going on.

So far, I've deleted them and started over with different movies and also reformatted the 512 gb drive to NTFS format and still nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Um, computer specs, if you need them:

Custom pc running windows 7 - 64 bit

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 5200 2.71ghz

4gb RAM

Thanks!
Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

How is the drive formatted?  FAT32 has a maximum file size of 2GB.  Sorry missed that you already formatted as NTFS.

Other possible issue would be file name length.

What happens if you create a folder at the root and store the movies in a folder?

Edited by Kilroy, 18 June 2014 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users