Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Down While Playing Games

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spore18

Spore18

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hey guys, I could really use some help on this and the previous forum I posted it to isn't getting any responses, so I'm going to post it here and hope it does better. I'm going to do a direct copy-paste to save time:

Hello! I come to you with a problem. Whenever I am playing games such as Hawken, Civ 5, and FTL, my computer shuts off for no apparent reason with no warning at all. 

Here are my specs

Here is a reddit post on my issue as well

On top of the information given in the reddit post, I should also give you some more information because I wasn't nearly specific enough on the reddit post:

First of all, my earliest issue with this kind of thing was when after doing an unhealthy amount of cpu power donations, I was playing a game and I started to get a drop in framerate. After a while, I heard a pop noise from the computer and smelled something burning. I quickly disconnected from my game and shut my computer off, then left it overnight. The next day, everything seemed to be working fine so I thought little of it (I'm an idiot FYI). A month or so later, I was playing Civ 5 with a friend and the same thing happened after a drop in framerate for a bit. Once again, I shut down the computer and let it rest. The next time I played Civ 5, instead of the pop noise and a burning smell the computer just shut off. When I turned it back on and rejoined, the same thing happened after a few minutes. It started happening to other games as well, and I don't know what to do! FYI, the games that this doesn't seem to affect include Minecraft and Planetary Annihilation. Thank you for your help!

Edit: The suggestion about using a new power source didn't work, so I've just been trying to live with it but I'm fed up again. Since I don't want to type out all of this again, I'm just going to update this old thread. The new PS should be in the specs.

I've been having the same issue as I had in the past, with no change since the new power supply went in. Though while installing the power supply, I did notice something odd. I found a place on the motherboard that looks like it should have one of those brass (or whatever metal) caps on them, but instead it just has some spirally black paper-like stuff there. I'd imagine it was under the cap, but I must have lost it at some point since I couldn't find the cap. Otherwise though, everything seems to be intact (except for a fan controller that I somehow managed to short circuit, so I had to plug my fans in directly to the MB).

Some things that strikes me as very odd are that:

1. The problem seems to be alleviated somewhat by a nightly shutdown.
2. It only affects certain games, such as TF2 and World of Tanks.
3. Certain games such as WoT only seem to be affected every few days, and even Youtube videos shut my computer off every now and then!
4. In Civilization 5, the multiplayer gets my computer to shut off every 20 minutes or so, while the single player never shuts my computer off!

Finally, I'm not sure if this is relevant to this issue but I also have problems with my computer's startup sometimes. On completely random occasions, before my computer starts up I will get a message along the lines of "Startup device could not be found, please insert disk and press any key." A restart or two gets it to start up, but I'm not sure what the issue it. My boot order seems to be correct in the BIOS. Also while windows is starting, I will bluescreen 1-2 times every now and then before I get a successful start. I believe that is all the info I have, any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

I had a very similar issue, replacing the motherboard solved it. Could be the issue here, although it's hard to tell. Have you ran memtest on RAM to eliminate that as the culprit? Could also be a bad CPU, you could try a stress test.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

I suspect beans17 has the gist of it. Since you heard an audible "pop", I suspect a capacitor has blown... either on the MB or in the PSU.

A notorious symptom of blown caps is intermittent shutdowns/slowdowns. And they can cause those problems with an increase in load... such as when playing a resource intensive game or app.

So, I would do a visual (and a "smell" test) of my MB and PSU area. Since you have changed the PSU, it's looking like a MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users