Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't know administrator password and BIOS is locked

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mateyto

Mateyto

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

So,basically a friend gifted me one AllInOne pc from his old office,to be more correct Samsung SyncMaster 730XT which got windows xp installe,but the problem is that it got administrator password which me or him don't know,and BIOS is locked,I tried some software which should be booted from USB,but seems windows exp don't recognise it.....is there anything there can be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

You might try reading the documentation by the manufacturer of said system.  Some BIOS passwords can be overcome...some cannot.  Either the user manual or the repair manual for the system in question...would probably cover that information.

Louis

#3 Mateyto

Mateyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

well I tried factory passwords,and doesn't seem to work

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

So you cannot access Windows? The BIOS password box is the first thing to come up at boot or is it a EFI BIOS that can be accessed by Windows? Can you get into safe mode by tapping F8 at boot.

#5 Mateyto

Mateyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

yes I can get into safe mode but it asks password,i tried remove password using usb boot and removing with software,but it doesn't wanna boot from usb,I guess disabled inb bios,and bios I cannot acces since locked

Edited by Mateyto, 17 June 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

For XP if you can access safe mode there should be another account shown called "Administrator" If you can get into that account you would be able to change the password on the other account.

If the above does not work use Rufus. Download it and then use the iso here to create a bootable USB. If you can get into the account then you would have to flash a new BIOS in windows to remove the password. Warning: This could brick the computer.

#7 Mateyto

Mateyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

For XP if you can access safe mode there should be another account shown called "Administrator" If you can get into that account you would be able to change the password on the other account.

If the above does not work use Rufus. Download it and then use the iso here to create a bootable USB. If you can get into the account then you would have to flash a new BIOS in windows to remove the password. Warning: This could brick the computer.

Administrator in safe mode doesn't work,gives same message as in normal mode,about this Rufus software,I created bootable usb with iso image of that software,but when I start it,I got 3 USB options to select, USB-FDD,USB-ZIP,USB-CDROM....tried all 3,seems he doesn't respond to noone,he just boots up normally

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

USB-FDD would be the closest option I would think. Does this computer have a Optical drive? If not, you may want to try using a different partition scheme on Rufus. If that fails, then use the following program to create the iso. Unetbootin. Check Disk Image and iso in the dropdown box. If that does not work, I am out of ideas on this one. Maybe try to get a USB-CDROM drive and try using a disk instead. I tried to find a manual on the computer but did not have any luck finding anything on a BIOS reset.

Edit: Actually I would have expected a USB-HDD in the BIOS menu.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#9 Mateyto

Mateyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

tried it,doesn't work,and it don't have optical drive

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Sorry, out of ideas on this. Hopefully other people on the board can give their thoughts to a solution. Is it possible to open up the computer enought to access the CMOS battery? You may be able to reset it by removing it and then pressing the power button with the power cable removed.

Edit: If you cannot get a USB flash drive to boot, I am not sure how your problem can be solved.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#11 Mateyto

Mateyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

well thx for ur tips..I tried to open it to remove CMOS but seems too complicated to open it,like I will break it....and yeah,rly weird why it doesn't wanna boot from USB,could it be that boot from USB is disabled in BIOS?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

I don't think so. It gives you three options and if USB boot was disabled, I would think you would not see any options available. Have you tried booting the USB flash drive in all of the USB ports? Did you try the USB-Zip option with Unetbootin? This seems like a EFI BIOS because you can actually boot into Windows first, correct? A standard BIOS would require a password before the computer could boot to Windows. Your best option may be to contact Samsung Support.

Edit: I did find the Syncmaster has XP embedded for an OS. I would not know if the OS was on some kind of hard drive or even if it was placed in firmware on this computer. Have not been able to find any kind of service manual for it either. Many time a search for Syncmaster 730XT leads to just a monitor.

Windows XP Embedded, commonly abbreviated "XPe", is a componentized version of the Professional edition of Windows XP. An original equipment manufacturer is free to choose only the components needed thereby reducing operating system footprint and also reducing attack area as compared with XP Professional. Unlike Windows CE, Microsoft's operating system for portable devices and consumer electronics, XP Embedded provides the full Windows API, and support for the full range of applications and device drivers written for Microsoft Windows. The system requirements state that XPe can run on devices with at least 32 MB Compact Flash, 32 MB RAM and a P-200 microprocessor. XPe was released on November 28, 2001. As of October 2008, the newest release is Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3.

The devices targeted for XPe have included automatic teller machines, arcade games, slot machines, cash registers, industrial robotics, thin clients, set-top boxes, network attached storage (NAS), time clocks, navigation devices, railroad locomotives, etc.

I was able to find out a little more about this computer. It was sold as a Thin Client which means it's supposed to be used with a server. I don't know what components of XP are installed on the computer but it may be that you would not be able to do much with it. It may not even have a hard drive and XP is embedded on a chip in the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 June 2014 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users