Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer acting strange, Avast alerts going crazy, but can't find anything

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ravyn317

Ravyn317

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

On 06/16/2014 my computer suddenly shut down on it's own.  I was probably on facebook or something.  When I restarted it, Avast (free version) started sending alerts every few seconds, "Threat has been detected."  I have run several scans since then with Avast and found nothing.  I ran a scan with Malwarebytes free version, and it found nothing.  Yet Avast still keeps sending popups saying "threat has been detected."  Its getting really annoying.  Also, I uninstalled and re-installed Avast, but still getting massive alerts.  I have silenced it for now, but I use this computer for work and I am worried.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Ravyn 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

Try doing a full system scan with Avast in Safe Mode.  Some malware can hide itself in normal mode.

Also be sure you have any data you don't want to lose backed up.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 17 June 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah it sounds like you've got some malware lurking in your folders.

#4 Ravyn317

Ravyn317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

I ran Avast full scan in safe mode, and it still finds nothing.  Since Avast updated, the popup message is now telling me "Avast Webshield has blocked a harmful webpage or file," about 1 every few seconds, always different, infection named as URL:Mal (not sure why that is a link, sorry).  Yes, there has to be something going on, but I wonder why Avast or Malwarebytes can't find it?

Thanks in advance,

Ravyn

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

What browsers are you using?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Download the free version of Malwarebytes, get it up to date, and do a scan with it.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 Ravyn317

Ravyn317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Browsers are IE 8, which is required for work, and Firefox.

I just downloaded Malwarebytes again and did another scan.  Still finding nothing.  Still getting massive amounts of warnings from Avast.  Does this mean my computer is infected, or something is trying to infect, and if that's the case, how to stop it?

Thanks guys for your help.  I really appreciate it.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

You might need to reset your browsers.

I'd do a scan with Adwcleaner (scan only) and copy the log to a text file. Look at the listings under your browsers and see if there is a lot of stuff.

#9 Ravyn317

Ravyn317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Well, I did a boot scan in safe mode with Avast, and it found this:  Win32:Zbot-PX.  Not good, I know.  I deleted the infected file.  Then, this morning my computer wouldn't start.  I did system restore to before I had any issues (that I know of), and it's working now, but I know my problem isn't solved that easily.  Don't know what to do next.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Download and run FARBAR, start a topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum. Paste the Farbar log and give a brief summary of what issue you have and what you've tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users