Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I update my Wordpress site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LEG90

LEG90

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'm a volunteer with Learning Life, an educational non-profit. Our Wordpress site (letlearninglive.org) hasn't been updated to the latest version and our current version is 3.2.8. I'm not sure if the widgets installed in the site's sidebar are being affected by this as they don't display the content on the site. So far the widgets that are not working are twitter timelines, search bar, and comment boxes, all of which did, however, work on a mock-up Wordpress site we created, which presumably had a more recent version of Wordpress.

If we do indeed need to update to the latest Wordpress version, will we need to edit some of our pages to accommodate the latest version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 neilbuddy

neilbuddy

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

If you moved your site from an newer version of Wordpress to an order version it may break some of the functionality.  The widgets or plugins may need features that are in the newer Wordpress.  You should upgrade your Wordpress to the latest version.  It is also good to keep Wordpress updated to the latest version to make sure it has the latest security patches.  Always backup before performing an upgrade.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

I go with Neil. There have been some well publicised security failings with older versions of Wordpress over the last 12 months or so and almost all web-site hosters have been encouraging their users to move to the latest version.

Yes, it's a pain having to re-build a perfectly functional web-site but it is worth it for the security benefits. You will not be happy if your web-site gets knocked over in a DoS attack and your users will not be happy if they find your site distributing malware - and both risks are real.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

and both risks are real.

+1 Chris.

Also they could mean the death of your site, I was Mod on a site a few years ago, That was being dosed everyday for over 6 week's (  we upset somebody :notme:  )  It was so bad GoDaddy asked us to find another host, We did set everything up, Dosing started again, We were asked to yes, find another host, This went on for about 6 to 8 weeks, A site with 10,000 members with some 400 Vip members who paid to be Vip members a site with some 7 to 900 visits a day, Quickly went to 12 odd visits a day mainly from the Admin and mods and a few Vip members, We ended up shutting up shop because in the end we couldn't even meet server costs, No donations to the site no sales of special tools coded by us, No point wasting money.

Edited by NickAu1, 21 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

Fiddlesticks - or some similar expression !

I have just realised I am going to have to take a dose of my own medicine. The software I use to build a couple of web-sites I run for clubs I am involved with has recently been updated. Two web-site re-builds coming up !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users