Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 suddenly missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MariGoddy

MariGoddy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

So this seems to have started from another issue I'd been working on  and today my computer suddenly cannot see the main hard drive housing my operating system. The errors I got ranged from MBR failure/broken...to Disk Boot Failure...to failed attempts with two different Windows Repair CDs - one made for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and the other CD created through System Image Backup on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

The Win 8.1 CD constantly failed to load, only showing a 1. FD 1.44MB System Type-(00) error even though the floppy drive is disabled and disconnected.

The Win XP/Vista/ Win 7 CD loaded however it showed that my machine can't even see the drive containing my operating system despite the fact it shows as being connected in BIOS just fine.

So I have no means to boot and I'm honestly not sure how to fix this much less how it happened...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Did this computer come with Windows 8 installed?

What version of Windows 8 do you have installed?  Home permium, Pro, etc.  32-bit or 64-bit?

Edited by dc3, 17 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

The computer was built by me a few years ago and most of the original parts have been upgraded a few times. I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 8.1 pro 32-bit, which the computer was running smoothly for a few months now. The strange thing is that the drive Win 8 is on is not even being detected except in the BIOS.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Have you checked the connections (data/power)?

What is the make of this hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Have you checked the connections (data/power)?

What is the make of this hdd?

I managed to fix this with the help of some new wires, so thanks for the suggestion to check them!

As it turned out, the connectors linking my main hard drive to the motherboard were faulty, so when I restarted the computer, it seems the machine confused itself into thinking a secondary hard drive was in fact the main hard drive to boot from [because only those connectors were working correctly]...which naturally failed since that drive had no OS on it. I was able to remove the other drives and leave only the main one connected, and that was able to boot with no issues whatsoever.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Glad it turned out to be an easy fix. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users