Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tdiet0928

tdiet0928

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I have a toshiba satellite C600 series laptop that I have been told the motherboard has died in.  Up until this point, the only problems that I had with the machine was the charging port was loose.  One night when the battery died and we tried to plug in the charger, it would not charge. I took it to Best Buy and they thought the charging port was bad.  I didn't want to wait two weeks to find out if it was the port and took it to Staples. They did a "diagnostic" and said it was the motherboard.  I took it apart before taking it to Staples to see if I could reset the charge port myself and found that it had slipped out of it's slot but did not appear to be broken.Off to Staples I went, paid $70 bucks and they said it was the motherboard, and it would be $300 to put in a new one.  The one thing that I did note about the machine was that if I pushed the power button, the battery that does a have a wee bit of life would cause the machine's power light to blink yellow a couple of times, but would not power up.

My question is, would a machine still be able to somewhat power on if the motherboard was dead?  Like I said, other than this problem, the machine has been good. Is it most likely the mother board, and if so, are there any other options besides replacing it or the entire machine?  

Thanks!

Tawny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Retail tech support is pretty much battlefield triage- if it not working 100%, toss it.

Assuming this is your motherboard:

Toshiba-C600-Motherboard-V000238070.jpg

You ought to be able to remove the charging port and replace it fairly easily. But first I would do a cursory visual exam of the motherboard for any sign of damage.

#3 tdiet0928

tdiet0928
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

So, are you saying to toss the machine or try to replace the port?  I'm confused?  If the motherboard doesn't looked damaged, should I look into something else?

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

I was saying that retail techs don't bother with in house repair, IME. Easier and more profitable to insist on full replacement regardless of what the issue is.

If it was me I'd see if the charging port on the mobo can be removed. If so, I'd risk about $20 or less to find a working replacement. If the replacement doesn't work, toss the board (and/or system).

There's not much else to can do at this point, I think. The charging port may be the issue, or there could be something else.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Before spending time replacing the jack, test the 19v input dc points on the board (where the jack plugs into the board there should be open pins you can test) with a multimeter make sure the dc power jack is plugged in. If you are getting power to the board there is no need to repalce the jack. It is common for jacks to look ok but still have problems... Multimeters are the best tool in these cases. If you don't have one, they can be bought for around $5.

Edited by zingo156, 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 tdiet0928

tdiet0928
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Update - I was able to find another laptop to charge my batteries with and when I popped them in, windows came up and the machine is working like normal.  I will do a little more investigating, but seems like the problem really is the power port. Thanks for all your help, everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users