Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem - Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oldskoolerrr

oldskoolerrr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hello!
I have tried to fix a problem that I've had for days. I have recently built my own computer (bought computer parts myself) and tried to boot the computer, but have have not managed to do so at all.

At first I thought it was the new hard drive that was either broken or that i might have installed it incorrectly, but then i tried to take the new hard drive and install it in another computer and see if i got the same problem. I managed to boot it correctly and installed Windows 7 on it without any problems (still working properly on the other computer). But, as soon as I install it on the new computer, i cant get it to boot. The only thing that happens is that I get a black screen with white text that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I know that you have to enter the BIOS and change the boot order ie. in the order that the computer should boot from first, etc.. I have already done that, and the issue remains the same.

Here are some points on what I've already done and tested without any results in case anyone was wondering:
# Have changed the boot order in the BIOS so that my new hard drive booted first. - No success
# Have tried booting from USB flash drive with installed and bootable Windows 7 to see if it will boot any other device other than a regular SATA harddrive. - No success
# Have tried to install and boot a used hard drive with an installed and fully functional Windows 7. Difference here is that I do not get a black screen with the white text, but manages to boot the hard drive up to the beginning of the Windows 7 logo, but then ends there and later asking me to open the windows recovery, and so I did and it found no problems. (as i said, the hard drive works properly already).
# Have changed the PSU and SATA cables to see if some of the cables were broken etc.. - No success
# Have cleared the CMOS and resetting the BIOS to the default settings. - No success.

# The BIOS is already up to date with the newest version.

# Have disabled the secure boot feature that usually comes in new UEFI BIOS versions. - No success.

# Have tried all the different boot modes available, and that is, AHCI, IDE and RAID. - No success.
# As previously stated, i have tried to install the new hard drive into another computer and have managed to boot the hard drive and install Windows 7 without a problem. - Had success.

i really appreciate if anyone has a solution, it's really sad that things like this happen and you dont have any more ideas on what to do about it. Thank you!

My setup:
PSU Cooler Master G650M, 650W
CPU: Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz (have not overclocked it)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Pro (2x8) 2400MHz RED
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB (have not overclocked it)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

You should not be able to boot to a new drive, the drive should be blank.  You should boot to the USB drive or optical drive so that you can start the Windows install.  Can you boot to the USB drive on another machine?  Are you connecting the USB drive directly to the motherboard on the problem machine?

#3 oldskoolerrr

oldskoolerrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

You should not be able to boot to a new drive, the drive should be blank.  You should boot to the USB drive or optical drive so that you can start the Windows install.  Can you boot to the USB drive on another machine?  Are you connecting the USB drive directly to the motherboard on the problem machine?

Really? Even if a hard drive has a properly installed and working Windows 7 OS on it, it still should not be able to boot because its a new drive?

Yes, i can boot to the USB drive on another machine, and thats how i managed to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive. And yes, i am connecting the USB drive directly to the motherboard. I have tried all the different USB ports on the motherboard, aswell as the front panel of my case and its USB ports.

But, my new pc cant boot from a USB either, thats the problem, otherwise i would have tried installing Windows 7 on the the new drive while i am using the new pc of course.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

The problem Kilroy correctly points out is with drivers.  When you install Windows, it customizes the install to the unique particular configuration of the computer it's being installed on.  Then, if you move the hard drive to another computer, it's not going to work unless the new computer is completely identical.  It's funny that Linux can create something you can download and boot on just about anything, but Windows is so different in that regard.  Part of this I'm sure is intentional on the part of MS to force people to buy another license for each computer.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows 7 before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 oldskoolerrr

oldskoolerrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows 7 before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

I tried doing this, but this time i dont get the "Reboot and selecot proper boot device etc...". Instead, it just remains a black screen after the BIOS logo disappears.

This happens on both the new pc and on the old pc where the new hard drive worked earlier. Any ideas?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Since the identifiers weren't removed before installing the hdd with the new motherboard it now is seeing new identifiers and basically is confused and can't start.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 oldskoolerrr

oldskoolerrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Since the identifiers weren't removed before installing the hdd with the new motherboard it now is seeing new identifiers and basically is confused and can't start.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

When i try to press F8 during the POST thing, i still get a black screen. I cant get to where you can choose Safe Mode and the other options.

But today, a friend of mine borrowed his DVD drive and a Windows 7 CD, and i managed to boot the CD on the DVD drive and finally was able to install Windows 7 on it and able to boot from the hard drive as normal now. I guess my DVD drive and/or Windows 7 had some kind of fault with it, because i couldnt boot anything from them. Anyway, Im really thankful for all the help that you guys have giving me, im happy that i fixed the problem, but i hope that this problem i had can be fixed in other ways because sometimes you dont have the opportunity to borrow stuff from others. Cheers!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Since you have reinstalled Windows 7 you will need to activate it.

You do have a legal product code for this installation, right?

#10 oldskoolerrr

oldskoolerrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hehe yeah, i am aware of it and i have already done that, thanks anyway. And yes, its a legal product code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users