Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sony1

Sony1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

Evrytime I turn my laptop on I get a black screen that says.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safemode with command prompt

Last knowns Configuration.

Start Windows Normally

And ive tried clicking on everysingle one of them and it acts like its loading then it goes back to that screen!!
Anyone know whats wrong with my laptop???

Oh and also shows this bluescreen keeps popping up for like a second before the screen returns to the black screen^^^. And i think it says something about the memory.

ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR WEEKS NOW AND I CANT AFFORD TO FIX IT.

PLEASE HELP I WORK ON MY LAPTOP

Edited by Grinler, 01 June 2006 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

The actual error would be good to have - it tells a lot about the problem. However, it may be that your hard drive is full. Unless you have beaucoups of memory, a computer will not start if there is not sufficient room on the drive for a swap space.

The fix, should that be the case, is to remove some files, which can be a bit of a sticky problem if you don't have experience working from the command line.

If your computer was upgraded from an earlier operating system, such as Windows 98 or Windows ME, there is a chance that you can start it and remove files with a startup disk from one of those versions. If you have the NTFS filesystem, this will not work. But if you still have the old FAT 32 filesystem, it will.

Then, you need to know which files can be removed. Temp files are good - if you can navigate to C:\documents and settings\your_user_name\local settings\temp and delete all files in that folder, you might remove enough that Windows can start.

Substitute your actual username for your_user_name. In the old DOS version, you will only be able to see part of each filename because of the limitation on name length, so "documents and settings will probably appear to be: "docume~1"

If you haven't a clue as to how to do these things, feel free to ask for more help. Do not delete any files in system folders. If you haven't deleted temp files for a long time, you might recover a lot of space. Once you restart Windows, check out your C: drive in My Computer and remove enough stuff that you can get at least about 1.5 gigs of space to operate in.

You can also do this from the Recovery Console using the XP CD. You have to set your computer's BIOS to allow you to start from the CD.

When you get to the Windows Setup screen, press "R" to repair.

If you can't start with the older boot disk or the recovery console, you may be able to start with a different operating system CD, such as Knoppix or the Ultimate Boot CD, and then use the file managers to delete files. Of course, it's possible that this isn't even the cause of your problem . . .

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

Do you get a command prompt by choosing safe mode with command prompt?

#4 Sony1

Sony1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:03 PM

Ok just so you guys know everytime i click start windows normally, safe mode it acts like its loading then this bluescreen pops up for like a second and it says

stop: c0000218 { Registry File Failure }
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\system root\system32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt,absent or alternate

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

#5 Sony1

Sony1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

Then it goes right back to that startup screen. Someone please help. :thumbsup:

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

There is an article that may help. It is found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

Albert's link says:

"You should not use the method two set of instructions below if your system has an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copy of Windows XP. Doing so will render your operating system inoperable. OEM installations create passwords and user name that did not previously exist. Therefore, in your own interest, these instructions will not remedy the problem. The easiest option with OEM copies of XP is to reinstall XP using the manufacturer’s recovery disks."

Sony, the oem that manufactured your computer installed an oem copy, so do not use the method described on the page but restore Windows with either a restore disk provided by Sony when the computer was new or use the restore partition which Sony installed on many of its models if it has one (usually acessed by tapping F10, F11, or F12 on boot).

The other option would be to order a restore cd from Sony specifically for your computer.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

Sony, the oem that manufactured your computer installed an oem copy

Yes, probably.

so do not use the method described on the page

Actually, the warning says:

"You should not use the method two set of instructions below if your system has an OEM ..."

If I understand that correctly, method one (the easy methods) still applies.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Sony1

Sony1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:19 PM

So i call sony and ask for a restore disk? Are they going to ask me for any information? Or just send me the disc? Because i dont have my receipt...and guess what...i now have the same problem w/my hp pavilion laptop... :thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

You will need to give the manufacturer the model number and serial numbers of the computers you want restore disks for as they are specific to each individual computer.

Both the Sony and the HP may have restore partitions on their hard drives though, usually accessed by tapping a specific key (look at the bottom of the screen as soon as you start to boot the computer).

#11 Sony1

Sony1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

And where do i find the model and cerial numbers?

And what do the restore partitions look like? Like what would the screen say?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

It would tell you (at the bottom of the screen) to press a specific key, usually an F number when the computer first boots.

If you do not see it, try booting to the bios section and see if you see anything for recovery in there.

If you do find it in either place, before running it make sure the only things connected to the computer are the keyboard, the mouse and the monitor.

If you do not see anything about a recovery tool the other option is to order the cds from Sony.

The model and serial number will be on a sticker with a bar code - probably somewhere on the back or side of the computer.

The same is true for your other computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 May 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#13 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

All later model Vaio's have a recovery partiton but you can only get to it via the windows interface (control panel > Recovery Wizard). Fat lot of good that does. :thumbsup:
Your "supposed" to use it to create your own recovery cd's when you first get it or when windows is functioning as it should.

Are they going to ask me for any information? Or just send me the disc? Because i dont have my receipt

You don't need a receipt because you will be charged for it.
They will help you find the info they need from the system, just be at it when you contact them.
You can call and order recovery cd's at the numbers below:

U.S. (800) 488-7669
Canada (416) 499-1414

As for your HP notebook, need the model number. :flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 31 May 2006 - 08:58 AM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

Here is a link from which you can order the recovery CD:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/categ...ryName=Computer

I would check and see how much a retail version of Windows XP sells for in your area and if the price was not much more then what Sony will try to gig you for the recovery disks, I would dump the Sony junk, reclaim the complete drive by completely formatting and just do a full MS Windows XP install instead.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 May 2006 - 09:09 AM.

#15 Sony1

Sony1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

Say my laptop was stolen, would there be anyway they could find out?

J/W :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users