Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong with my hardware for Google updates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm getting the message that my hardware is not adequate for Google updates. What do I need to upgrade?

My specs are for my 2003 (yes quite old)  TIME PC

RAM  1.5GB

2.15 GHz AMD Athlon XP (I am now using Win 7 Home Premium which is working OK)

Board FIC AM39LPCB 0.x

Bus Clock 166MHz

However I don't have this problem with my two other computers upgraded from XP to Win 7 Home Premium which seeming have not super specs. but are working well.

Laptop: 2006 vintage

RAM 1.5 GB

1.5 GHz IDTEsther 1500 MHz

Board MEDION PC MIM2080 5a

Bus Clock 100MHz

Netbook 2009 vintage

RAM 1 GB

1.60 GHz Intel Atom N270

Board  MEDION E1210 Ver. 001

Bus Clock 533 Mhz

Any advice please - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

What's the exact message you are getting?

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

I'm confused.  You say you're having this problem on your Time PC, but then say you've upgraded it to Windows 7 and it's working OK.  Does it have a problem or is it working OK?  I have to say 1.5 GB RAM is rather minimal for Windows 7, but I'm wondering if maybe the Google update is complaining about free hard drive space.  How much free space do you have on your C: drive?  Could you post the exact message you're getting from Google to help clarify what's going on?

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I'll have to give you the  message tomorrow as I can't remember it exactly and it  is very late for me now and that problem is on my other computer.

Altho the message is in essence  that my hardware is not capable of getting/installing Google updates.

Without getting that message I would not know anything was wrong as the Win 7 OS is operating perfectly well despite my RAM being on the very small size. I have at least 40GB of free CD drive, perhaps more.

I think that getting the updates is desirable so I'd like to see how I can do it.   My Avast AV also keeps telling me that a Google update is required but when I click install after a minute or so it comes up with 'Error' so that seems to confirm that my system is deficient in something.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Many apologies are due - as I haven't used my problem computer for some time I didn't remember the exact message, which wpgwpg and Netghost56 sensibly asked for, which is...

'This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome (yes Chrome!) updates because its hardware is no longer supported'

Very sorry about that.

There seems no other information on what can be the hardware deficiency. How would I find that out?

I listed my other computer hardwares one of which has a RAM of only 1GB, the other with 1.5GB and not getting that message so perhaps this indicates something other than RAM size.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

It's the CPU. Chrome no longer supports non-SSE2 CPUs. Different manufacturers started incorporating SSE2 at different times, which has led to unusual situations where sometimes older systems are still able to use Chrome while newer systems can't.

More info:

SSE2, Streaming SIMD Extensions 2, is one of the Intel SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) processor supplementary instruction sets first introduced by Intel with the initial version of the Pentium 4 in 2001. It extends the earlier SSE instruction set, and is intended to fully replace MMX. Intel extended SSE2 to create SSE3 in 2004. SSE2 added 144 new instructions to SSE, which has 70 instructions. Competing chip-maker AMD added support for SSE2 with the introduction of their Opteron and Athlon 64 ranges of AMD64 64-bit CPUs in 2003.

Looks like you just missed the boat with that one system.

Edited by Netghost56, 18 June 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

Oh dear! Well thanks for identifying the problem. 

I suppose security problems are the danger if I continue to use it? Or I could go back to I.E.? Not a totally bad idea perhaps - will keep me flexible!

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Or you could consider using Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users