Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obtaining Malware Codes/signatures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone know where I can acquire the source codes of a viruses, spyware, or any other big family of malware for research and studying purposes. At the very least, could someone tell me how I could contact someone in the anti-malware industry who's willing to listen to a soon to be 9th grade student and attempt to help him.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

here is something to play with from the '90s----The Little Black Book of Computer Viruses
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

Elendil, are you trying to get involved with anti malware tool development? I see you're very into computer science, but giving a 9th grader the tools to develop nasties of their own is sort of questionable in terms of judgement haha...But don't worry i see you on these forums a lot and trust you won't turn to the dark side...beware the temptations...so here's my advice.

My sophomore year college roomate was a genius programmer. He was interning and doing work at Microsoft and other big time companies in which he would have gotten paid 200K a year if he had a college degree... Build up your knowledge base now and do lots of experimentation. Over time you'll get a lot of respect in the security community if you are able to develop some tools...Focus on getting into a good university with a great computer science program (you'll find professors will be extremely hesitant to teach you methods of hacking and virus coding -- they leave it up to you to figure out). Use your credentials from high school and what you do at BC as a future HJT Team member, and independetly, to get you an internship your first year of college (which most people don't accomplish). Internships are more important than grades, but don't think that means you can slack off (from your profile I don't think you would). Once you get some really good internships you'll be able to network and meet important people in the anti-malware industry. This will help you get the job you desire or give you the connections you need to go into business for yourself.. No matter what, you need that degree though or else you won't get the respect you need to succeed in that industry!

The AF does however teach some cadets how to conduct cyber warfare and develop certain forms of malware...There is an amazing professional development training program for computer science majors at the top of their cadet class which literally teaches them how to hack and code viruses...this is for the purpose of national security and cyber defense/attack..this is becoming huge in the AF and much of what you would learn is classified. This is an amazing launching point for a career in the anti-malware/security industry. If you want me to get you more information about these types of programs just PM me.

As far as acquiring the source codes for malware, I can't really help you there. Perhaps one of the more experienced BC members, who do their own testing and research as well, will be willing to give you access to such code.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

Actually what I also meant to include was if I could obtain signatures of anti-malware products (detection definitions). I hear that Spybot S&D has a kind programmer who designed it and he might be willing to lend a hand... if only I could find him. Basically, I'm trying to develop a Syntex detection/filtering engine (later on it'll evolve into a Semantics engine).
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users