Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Help** Another Windows 7 Boot Loop Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hello everyone,

I have another fascinating (scarcastic) :radioactive:  Boot Loop problem :radioactive: I need help with. Basically I took a few desktop computers and switched some parts around. I am trying to make two machines with these parts. I have one up and running but the second has been giving me hell....Im at work right now so I will list what I know off the top of my head.

1st PC Build....(Works great)

HP motherboard w/ LGA 775 socket (microATX)

Intel core 2 duo - want to upgrade to core 2 quad Q9650 later

2 Gigs of DDR2 6400 - I had ram issues, this I had laying around but will get 2x 2GB sticks soon

500 watt ATX power supply

320GB hard drive

2nd PC Build...(Boot Loop issues)

ASUS Motherboard 939 socket

AMD athlon 64 x2

4x1 Gig sticks of Ram

400 watt BFG power supply

300GB hard drive

First, I had a bad power supply. It whistled when I turned it on. I switched it out for a BFG power supply I had laying around. Next was wiring the on/off switch to the Motherboard. Then, choosing a Hard drive. I have 3x 80GB hard drives laying around. This computer I am building for a friend of mine to use while he is doing some school work. Mostly going to be internet, email, microsoft office programs running on it. So I thought Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is about 20GB of space then he has 60GB left. If he wants to upgrade his Hard Drive he can. Im giving him this computer for free so I did want to give him some awesome Hard drive when I had a few oldies laying around.

I could not get any of the three Hard drives up and going with the Windows 7 ultimate x64. kept getting missing bootmgr message. I even plugged them into the 1st PC and tried to install on that setup... failed. I managed to find a 300GB hard drive and formatted it. Installed the OS onto it and ran the activation all on the 1st PC. I then put the HD in the 2nd PC and I am now getting the boot loop. It loads the windows screen then reboots. I cannot get into safe mode. Only the Bios.

Can someone help me please!!!!!! Thanks in advance.... :gathering:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Installed the OS onto it and ran the activation all on the 1st PC. I then put the HD in the 2nd PC and I am now getting the boot loop. It loads the windows screen then reboots. I cannot get into safe mode. Only the Bios.

You can't do this. The PCs are not identical, therefore you need drivers coded for the components in the 2nd PC. You cannot simply install an OS on a HDD in one system and transfer that HDD to another system. Only in rare cases does this work- but you still need the hardware drivers for the new system.

Edited by Netghost56, 17 June 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#3 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Ahhh.. ok so i need to reformat and install the OS while its in the pc setup its going to stay in. Ill try that. The reason I did it the other way was because with the other three 80Gb hard drives I wasnt for sure if the boot from DVD was working due to the missing bootmgr error. I will give it a shot today after work.

Edited by TechGuy2014, 17 June 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#4 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ok so I downloaded a disk partition manager and completely wiped the 300GB HDD. Then I went ahead and did a surface test. It passed with no errors. Now I put it back in the machine I want to load windows on and when I turn it on, I see the Mobo screen and then it Posts but after that its a blank screen with a blinking cursor. When I go to bios settings there is no option to boot from usb either. The mobo is an Asus A8N-VM CSM rev 1.01 if that helps. I have tried windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and Windows 7 Ultimate x64. All have the same result. What am I doing wrong?

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

Is there an option to boot from CD?

#6 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

Is there an option to boot from CD?

no...nothing just a blinking cursor :scratchhead:

#7 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

I wiped one of the 80GB HDD's using the same partition manager and it does the same thing. I have another 80GB HDD that I havent touched and when it boots i get this screen asking to pick which OS to boot. The first option is blank and the second is Windows XP Home edition. I can press F8 to get to boot options such as safe mode etc. but no matter what I do it starts to load files then it stops and reboots.

#8 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Thought I should add that the 300GB is SATA and the 80GB's are IDE or PATA

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

The option to boot from CD should be in the computers BIOS settings.

#10 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

The option to boot from CD should be in the computers BIOS settings.

There is a boot priority that I changed. 1st is cd/dvdrom drive then HDD and the only other option is floppy which I dont have.

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

And you still can't boot from CD?

#12 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

And you still can't boot from CD?

Nope. I have even tried switching out cd/dvdroms

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Ok definitely work with the IDE HDD as older systems sometimes will refuse to boot up a SATA drive.

Check your BIOS closely. You might have a setting you need to change to allow it to boot from CD, like a legacy boot (enable) and "Boot for alternate sources". It varies.

#14 TechGuy2014

TechGuy2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Ok definitely work with the IDE HDD as older systems sometimes will refuse to boot up a SATA drive.

Check your BIOS closely. You might have a setting you need to change to allow it to boot from CD, like a legacy boot (enable) and "Boot for alternate sources". It varies.

Ok, I'll do that tonight when I get home from work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users