Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which notebook for windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zandtao

zandtao

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Dear Forum,

I am looking to buy a new notebook. 

There are 3 factors I am considering for the way I use my computer.

i7 or i5 
Hard drive 750 or 500Gb
8 Gb/4Gb ram

I have discovered that where I get my notebook if I want i7 and 750Gb I cannot increase the ram to 8 Gb without invalidating the warranty.

If I get i5 and 500Gb I can increase from 4 Gb to 8 Gb without invalidating warranty.

I want to run Windows 8, and the notebooks are Asus which I have been advised are reliable in my area. I am not a gamer.

I am loathe to change shops because of their service.

I have always preferred increased ram, I increased it and everything seemed faster.

I would welcome comments.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'd get the I5 with 500 GB hard drive and 8 GB RAM.  Come to think of it, that's exactly what I'm running right now.   :busy:  I believe the I7 is overkill, and in 2.5 years I'm only using 99 GB disk space.  I got by for a good while with 4 GB of RAM, but I like to start a whole lot of browser sites, and the 8 GB occasionally makes a difference.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the advice - the same as another forum.

I have accumulated too much data so will have to trim it - just time-consuming. I could easily keep some of the data as external storage.

Your point about browsers is also good as I tend to do the same thing.

Edited by zandtao, 17 June 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Re external storage, you can buy a 1 TB drive for $60 and a 2 TB one for $85.  Then you could run a system backup program to the external drive and have everything backed up.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which works great and is free for home use.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I use external storage already. I tend to just copy files - not keen on backup software as I don't like backup software formats.

#6 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

I have bought the 500Gb 8Gbram computer, thanks for the help.

Edited by zandtao, 19 June 2014 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users