Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion g7 startup issues

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CameraMan65

CameraMan65

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

So, a friend gave me one of his g7 1329wm laptops in return for doing some work for him. Problem is, I have to turn it on using the CTRL+F5 key. Not really a problem but the problems follow...

1. Laptop will not POST. There is just a blank screen with a flashing cursor

2. I can not turn off the laptop. The power button seems to be non functioning at the moment. I had to pull the battery out to turn it off. I charged the battery the other night and closed the lid figuring it would shut down after a while but it never did.

3. I pulled the HDD out and plugged it into my external HDD enclosure (SATA) and found 4 partitions (Recovery, Tools, System and one other one that I can't remember). Recovery and tools look OK but the other 2 are unreadable but show disk usage. 

My goal is to just re install Windows 7 and start from scratch. Is there a way to get this to reboot while it's running?

CTRL-ALT-DEL makes the screen go black and then the flashing cursor comes back after a few moments. I tried hitting F2, Esc, F10, DEL while the screen is black to see if I can bring up the configuration screen and nothing.

The wireless indicator shows it's not connected and the NUM lock light comes on. I can turn that on and off pressing the NUM Lock key.

I think I have that all covered. If you need any other information please let me know.

Remember, the computer will not load Windows (I think the dir tree is gone) so I cannot run any diagnostics on the HDD at all. I tried running a recovery program on the HDD while it was in the external case but it failed on several attempts. I just want to get it to reboot so I can re-install Windows 7 on it.

Edited by CameraMan65, 17 June 2014 - 09:35 AM.

“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.” 
― Sheldon Cooper

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Boot issues sound like a bad hard drive. While you have it mounted in the enclosure try connecting to another system and running a chkdsk /r on it.

The rest sounds like a bad motherboard or bad RAM.

Without the hard drive attached, what happens when you turn on the system? Try booting with one RAM stick, a different one each time, in different slots. See if anything changes.

#3 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Well, it's looking like it might be a bad HDD. I pulled the HDD out and turned it on and I was able to get to the HP Diagnostics screen. Only problem is the power button is still not working... and it needs a HDD. :)

“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.” 
― Sheldon Cooper

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Ok you should back up what you need off the hard drive and scan it with chkdsk when you can.

The power button is connected to the motherboard by either a 2 wire connector or a small ribbon cable. That could be loose, or the button itself might not be working.

#5 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'll check that button. I will get the HDD back in the enclosure and try running a chkdsk /r on it.

― Sheldon Cooper

#6 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

OK, Having trouble getting the top cover off. I have attached pictures. It seems to be catching on something in the middle. All of the screws are out but it seems to be caught on something in the center. How do I free that up? I've also attached a photo of the bottom side of the switch. I wiped off a lot of dust off the circuit board but I am sure there is dirt caked between the circuit board and switch. I just can't get the cover off to get to the screws on that circuit board. Any pointers?

BTW, Local Disk K: is the other problematic partition on that drive. I'll run chkdsk on that one after the other one is finished.

Attached Files

Edited by CameraMan65, 17 June 2014 - 10:47 AM.

― Sheldon Cooper

#7 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

2048KB of bad clusters on that G drive. Running ChkDsk on the other partition now... Although, I don't see any files or folders on that G drive but there are 40MB of 198MB used on that drive. Maybe they're all hidden files and folders?

― Sheldon Cooper

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Look a bit closer on the bottom of the case for more screws. You might need to remove the RAM and the WIFI card. Have you removed the keyboard as well? There are usually screws beneath it that will have to be removed.

#9 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Got it opened... I don't know if I did it or if someone else did it but the ribbon cable for the power button was unattached. Hopefully I've fixed that problem.

Edited by CameraMan65, 17 June 2014 - 11:46 AM.

― Sheldon Cooper

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Wouldn't hurt to spray some canned air in there.

Good deal on the ribbon fix...sounds like someone has been inside that system. Still looks like you need to check under the keyboard for a hidden screw.

#11 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Nope. Still not working. 

CHKDSK Update: LOTS of unreadable file segments on this Locak Disk K: Partition..

Edited by CameraMan65, 17 June 2014 - 11:48 AM.

― Sheldon Cooper

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

2048KB of bad clusters on that G drive. Running ChkDsk on the other partition now... Although, I don't see any files or folders on that G drive but there are 40MB of 198MB used on that drive. Maybe they're all hidden files and folders?

That's bad. That many bad clusters, I wouldn't continue to use that hard drive. The data is still present but probably no longer readable. It's either the System Reserved partition or the Tools partition.

#13 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Still looks like you need to check under the keyboard for a hidden screw.

Got the keyboard out and found that hidden screw. :)

― Sheldon Cooper

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Ok the powerboard could be bad. If you continue the disassembly you should do a cursory check of the motherboard to see if you have any bad caps or leaking parts, scorch damage or broken components.

#15 CameraMan65

CameraMan65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

That's bad. That many bad clusters, I wouldn't continue to use that hard drive. The data is still present but probably no longer readable. It's either the System Reserved partition or the Tools partition.

OK, Since I have the HDD connected to my desktop via external drive case I can tell you exactly what the partitions are labled.

-Local Disk (G:)

-HP_TOOLS (I:)

-Recovery (J:)

-Local Disk (K:)

HP_TOOLS and Recovery are readable. The other 2 are not. 

I'm leaning towards this drive being bad... REALLY BAD... as in throw it in the trash and order a new one BAD...

― Sheldon Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users