Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

holystic.dialer


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 rwood1

rwood1

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:57 PM

Hi all

I am new to this forum, so please excuse if this topic has been discussed before and I couldn't locate it.

During a Norton Anti-Virus scan, the holystic.dialer was picked up and deleted. During a SpyNuker scan two more holystic files were detected and deleted.

Can I be sure they have all been deleted? I cannot find any files with holi or holystic that look suspicious.

Since then I am unable to connect to www.symantec.com and to www.dodo.com.au (my ISP). I have downloaded info re host files and will check this when I get home. The messages when trying to browse to these site is that DNS cannot be located. Could there be other reasons for not getting to these sites (firewall/protection settings excluded)?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Grinler

Grinler

    Lawrence Abrams


  • Admin
  • 43,656 posts
  • ONLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:19 PM

Well their are known viruses and spyware/hijackers that block you from reaching antivirus sites. Could be that.

Could also be false entries in your hosts file.

Are you able to get to other sites? If so it is probably not bad DNS servers.

One thing you can try are some of the free online/download virus scanners . I have a list here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=405

Hope this helps. If you still continue to have problems let us know

#3 rwood1

rwood1
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

Thanks. Will check my hosts file tonight and let you know of any other problems. Yes, I can get to any other site I have found. The problem with not getting to these 2 sites is that I cannot receive live updates of nortons, and of course cannot communicate with dodo , my ISP.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

    Guru at being a Newbie


  • Malware Response Team
  • 6,648 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hi rwood1
I would like to welcome you to BC first of all.

Please let us know what you find in your hosts file. Since you had SpyNuker "remove" two "dialers" and now you are unable to reach two domains, I suspect that is the cause of the problem. Either SN added those sites to your hosts file or disabled access in some other way. BTW, is it SpyNuker or SpywareNuker? Either way you'll probably want to get rid of it and use the recommended freeware apps in our tutorial Understanding Spyware. If it's available I would suggest reversing whatever SpyNuker did--restore or whatever.

Both of the apps that you may have installed may actually be spyware themselves. One is associated with Stop-Sign:
http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/S/StopSign.asp

And the other:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ywarenuker.html

You might also be interested in this page:
http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000550.html

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso


#5 rwood1

rwood1
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the information Papakid. I discovered the problem was with something I had done in Norton's Internet Security. I had added a group of IP addresses which had continuously been identified as attempted hackers using the ShockRave Trojan to the list which permanently denied their access to my computer. Those addresses belonged to Comindico, a large internet company in Australia and the two sites I was trying to access must have been within that range of IP addresses. I have now 'unblocked' those addresses and resolved that problem.

With regard to SpyNuker ... Yes, it is SpywareNuker - that's the commercial name while the shorterned version is the file name. I purchased it via the net and when first installed picked up over 2000 adware and spyware files on my computer. Then the computer started running slowly and I requested my money back, which they supplied. I also informed them that I felt I had more problems after downloading than before, but got no response. However, I have now downloaded NoAdware, but it does not pick up any adware/spyware files on my computer. Norton's also identifies SpyNuker as a threat. I also have a popup blocker as well as Norton's so hopefully this means I have no more adware/spyware on my computer.

Also, the hostsfile showed absolutely no entries except for the local hostfile location.

Cheers!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users