Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mandiant Ransomware Question - Does it strike immediately?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

So our computer was recently apparently infected by some Ransomware claiming to be Mandiant or something like that.  After managing to stop the browser - I did a malwarebytes full scan.  Nothing turned up.  I was still able to use Chrome and everything else.  I shut the computer down.  It started up normally.  No ransomware appearing anywhere.  Just to be safe, I did another scan with malwarebytes, and again found nothing.

I'm somewhat paranoid, because I'm confused that malwarebytes didn't find anything, but given that no ransomware popped up, the computer should be fine, right?  Not infected, I mean.  Nothing is acting up.  But again, I'm kind of paranoid about this sort of thing.  It doesn't take X# of hours to pop up does it?  The lock would start right away if I was infected?  And Malwarebytes should detect it too?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit for the record.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

G'day Sylar,

Have a read HERE

I have never experienced ransomeware of any kind, but i would imagine it would be immediate...that would be logical.

However, if your paranoia wont leave you alone, follow Grinler's instructions on the latter half of that page to set your mind at ease.

Good Luck.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users