Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 500-017c crossfire or motherboard compatibility

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gmdaneker

gmdaneker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hello All,

I need help (which HP technical support told me they cannot help with) with my HP 500-017c computer graphics. I read that it IS possible to crossfire the onboard A8-5500 with Radeon 7560 integrated with a similar graphics card of either a ATI 7770 or ATI R7-250. Can anyone confirm this or help with this in any way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gmdaneker

gmdaneker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

CPU Socket

Socket FM2

The socket defines which CPUs are compatible and will fit into the motherboard

CPU Compatible Make

AMD

This is the manufacturer of the CPUs that are compatible with this motherboard

CPU Chipset

A75 FCH

This is the name of the chipset, the parts of the motherboard circuit that manage data flow between PC components

Form Factor

UTX

Form factor is the motherboard's physical size standard, which dictates what cases it will fit into and can limit expansion capabilities

Max RAM

32 GB DDR3

This is the maximum amount of RAM the motherboard can accommodate

RAM Slots

4 x DDR3

This is how many slots there are for the different RAM types in this motherboard

Memory Channels

Multi-channel memory architecture increases memory data transfer speeds

Compatible RAM Speeds

• DDR3 1333 MHz
  • DDR3 1600 MHz
  • DDR3 1866 MHz

The motherboard is compatible with only these types of RAM

Graphics Card Interface

PCIe v2.x

The graphics card interface is the specific technology the motherboard uses to communicate with the graphics card

SLI Support

1 graphics cards

SLI support allows your motherboard to utilize multiple connected Nvidia graphics cards for improved performance

Crossfire Support

1 graphics cards

Crossfire support allows your motherboard to utilize multiple connected AMD graphics cards for improved performance

PCI Slots

• 3 x PCIe x1
  • 1 x PCIe x16

PCI slots are hardware containers that can be used to house any compatible PCI component

SATA 1.0

Serial ATA (SATA) 1.0 is an old technology used to connect slower hard drives

SATA 2.0

Serial ATA (SATA) 2.0 is still commonly used for theoretical hard drive speeds of up to 3GB/s

SATA 3.0

Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0 is an increasingly popular hard drive standard that can theoretically reach hard drive speeds of up to 6GB/s

Internal I/O

• 1 x 24 pin power connector
  • 1 x 4 pin power connector

These are the internal connections for items such as fans and power

Back Panel I/O

• DVI connector"
  • Line In Connector
  • Mic In connector
  • 7.1 Surround Sound
  • Audio Input Output

These are the back panel connections primarily for peripherals such as speakers

Summary

The MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) uses the AMD Socket FM2 CPU socket. Any compatible AMD CPU will have the same socket entry. It uses the latest DDR3 memory type, with maximum speeds of up to 1866 MHz, and 4 DDR3 slots allowing for a maximum total of 32 GB RAM.

The UTX, or uATX form factor is analagous to the Micro-ATX form factor. The UTX MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) should fit into all ATX cases, but its smaller size allows you to downsize your system build as a whole. Its size comes at the cost of features, so there are likely to be far fewer connections and expansion options available than in a larger motherboard.

The MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) has 6 SATA 3.0 hard drive slots. These allow for theoretical data transfer speeds of up to 6GB/s, as opposed to the 3GB/s of SATA 2.0. Generally speaking, only high performance hard drives, specifically solid-state drives, will be able to take advantage of the bandwidth potential of SATA 3.0 ports, though it is backwards compatible, so you do not have to take advantage.

The MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) does not support onboard graphics. Any system build that uses this motherboard therefore requires a separate graphics card, or a processor that has a GPU on the same die, such as AMD APU processors. There are 1 PCIe x16 slots on this motherboard. This means it is perfectly capable of accommodating the latest graphics cards, although it is important to try and use a graphics card with the same graphics card interface of PCIe v2.x, as anything below will not reach the motherboard's potential, and anything above will have its performance slashed to the bandwidth maximum of the MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)'s PCIe v2.x.

This is the post:

HP Pavilion 500-017c Desktop PC crossfire

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

different games, different pipelines.  the 7770 is prolly the one that will give the best compatibility with your configuration.  but it requires an additional 6 pin power plugin off of the power supply. the r7 250 does not. i will look into your hp further for the crossfire capability, if it does offer crossfire with your apu, i would go with the r7 250.

ok, crossfire is capable, with a specific uefi bios tweak procedure  (legacy boot, turn off safe boot, then turn on integrated graphics.  all that in separate boots. so, the R7-250 is compatible in crossfire with your setup.  if the discreet option is standalone, then the 7770 is the way to go.

either way, i always have liked the asus radeon cards, and be sure to get the gddr5.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

that was my post from back then. that is what i came up with when i googled the specs.   it looks like it can be done from what i saw. although i have seen a few crossfired apu configs , although  i haven't done it myself. it looks like the r7 250 is the component to do something like crossfire with an apu. although, i think the hd7770 isn't much more expensive and is quite the performer.

i will google it again...

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

ok, so far, i see it is called dual graphics. the older hd 6670 was what looks like mostly compatible with your apu. i thought the r7 250 was the newer generation of the 6670. from what i have read so far, the 7770/7790 by itself would handily outperform the crossfired apu/6670 for marginally increased cost..

the 6670 gddr5  is on par with the gt 640 in performance but for a few bucks more, the 7770 or 7790 is best. then for a few bucks more after that, the gtx 750ti or r7 265 are reigning in popularity points out there in the field of mid-range performance.

also, HP may have disabled concurrent use of your pci x16 slot with the apu in your a8, i am looking into that one next.

can you see anything in your BIOS that is related?

Edited by synergy513, 16 June 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#5 gmdaneker

gmdaneker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. I have started school for a new job and don't have a lot of free time. I will look into the BIOS. I have not got into this systems BIOS yet. I called HP and the tech guy said he could not help me (refused to help me). Which card would be best if HP disabled it? If I didn't get this pc for close to half off I would have build an AMD FX-8350 or FX-9370.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

honestly, the power supply and the cpu is the drawback. there is a gtx 750ti that is quite powerful and is valid for an oem level weak power supply. it is around 150 and is almost as powerful as a gtx 660, which is usually around 220. your cpu may bottleneck data pipelines, but the 750ti is a great card to have for any PC in the future . the hd 7770 is less money and requires a 6 pin power lead , which may or may not be present with your existing power supply. then there is the low-budget 7750, which doesn't need the power lead. i will link:

the 7770: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&qq=1&c=79

the gtx 750ti:  http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&qq=1&c=164

the 7750:   http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&qq=1&c=80

i would opt for the 750ti, but if budget constraints are absolute, the 7750 is the one

Edited by synergy513, 18 June 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#7 gmdaneker

gmdaneker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Thank you synergy513.

#8 synergy513

synergy513