Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Desktop is Striped w/Frame Superimposed. Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Barbarino

Barbarino

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

My Desktop is Striped w/Frame Superimposed. Am I infected?

Hello all, my computer is a  Dell Optiplex GX 270,  Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service pack 3, 2.8GHz, 512MB of RAM. (Not the 64 bit),  Internet Explorer 8.

Earlier this week what I see on my computer desktop screen underwent a change. When I turned on the computer previously I saw all the little tiles of the different programs on a bluish background. Now what I see are three horizontal bands the top aqua, the middle black, and the bottom white in the size ratio of approximately 2 aqua: 4 black: 1 white. Superimposed on those bands, taking up almost all of the screen is a white frame whose center is all black. The program tiles and everything that was on my desktop is now in that center black that is in the white frame.

Even though Microsoft is not supporting Windows XP they keep sending updates and I download them.

My computer does seem to be running slower.

Another problem I have noted is that I cannot put up new threads on a professional blog that other people are still able to.

What I have done so far to remedy the problem that has not worked:

Cleared the cache.

Done several system restores.

Emptied the recycle bin.

Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware in regular mode and in safe start mode (nothing detected)

Avast anti-virus runs all the time.

Am I infected?

Is it another problem?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice, please speak and advise simply, I am a computer dummy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

You're just going to keep having problems if you stay on XP.  For your system I'd recommend Mint Linux which you can read about and download from here:  http://www.linuxmint.com/ .  It's free and supported.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users