Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE background processes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 damasta

damasta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi

I am on Windows 8.1 with IE11 built in.

When I launch IE (desktop not app version) and close it, 2 processes stay in the background processes (internet explorer & internet explorer 32 bit). I can terminate these, and do, but until I do having them there slows my laptop down.

I have ran CCleaner, removed protected view in IE, disabled all addons in IE, reset IE to default condition all to no avail.

I spoke to Microsoft via the techchat who claim the issue is registry but wont tell me the keys what are at fault so I can do the fixes (I work in IT and so am OK with regedit and confident changing if told what to do) instead wanting to remote on for $99 to do the reg fix themselves.

I am having no other issues and my antivirus hasn't picked anything up so I am not sure if it is malware (though it may just be not one that's picked up.

Any help is very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

IE is known for being buggy.  I urge you to use Firefox or Chrome for everything except Windows updates.  That's the smart thing to do.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 damasta

damasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

I use Firefox for a lot of things but sometimes IE is better (personal preference I suppose) so I would like to get the issue fixed

#4 damasta

damasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Does anyone have any ideas of the keys that are faulty?

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

If you have faulty registry keys, you need to save your data and restore your computer to factory settings.  Fooling with the registry will get into deep trouble in most cases.  :nono:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 damasta

damasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

I am confident that, if told the reg fix, I can do it given I work in IT. Microsoft are just refusing to say, presumably so they can sign me up to a support plan.

My data is backed up so I would not lose anything and I can always reinstall windows should anything go wrong. I just was asking did anyone know what keys needed amending & if so for what because I do not want to reinstall every time I have an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users