Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Bizare Wi-Fi Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WNxstrikeman

WNxstrikeman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

This problem is a bit difficult to explain, but I will try my best. I own an unmodified ASUS X501A laptop running Windows 8. I have recently begun to experience a strange issue regarding my wireless internet. Basically, after running for a random amount of time, the connection on my computer will cease to work. The Internet Access icon on the taskbar will say that I am connected, however I can not reach any websites and my Skype will say "reconnecting". I have had this problem for a few months, and I originally had a solution that would fix it: Going into airplane mode. By opening up the internet sidebar, going into airplane mode, and then exiting the connection would work again, and disconnecting from the access point and reconecting manually had the same effect. However, the problem has gotten worse in past couple of weeks. When I open up the internet sidebar, go into airplane and then exit, the text next to the access point that I use will say "connecting". The icon on the taskbar will now say "no internet access" and I will not have any connection to the internet. The access point that I use will say "connecting" for an unlimited amount of time, basically, it will never connect. Not only that, but if I close the sidebar, there is no way to re-open it. I can click the icon on the taskbar any number of times but it will not open. At this point, the only way to regain a connection is to the restart my computer, and I do mean restart. If I try to simply shut it down at this point then it will freeze, and I am forced to perform a hard reset. I can not find any information on this issue, and any help will be greatly apriciated. Please let me know if more details are needed, and thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

How old is your router?  Even though they have no moving parts, they wear out after a few years.  They're cheap enough to replace - I paid $15 for my Tenda wireless-N router, and it works great.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 WNxstrikeman

WNxstrikeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

To clarify: I am one of four people in my home, and none of these other people have had any internet troubles. At this point, I would assume that the problem is either with my OS or my computer itself.

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Maybe update your WIFI adapter's driver. Find newer drivers at the manufacturer's website or ASUS.

If that doesn't work then maybe replace the WIFI adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users