Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port 80

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aworrier

aworrier

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

After previously struggling with the PUM.bad.proxy virus I've become very paranoid. After updating Java on both my computers, I noticed the port box in lan settings being filled with the number 80. The address box is empty and I am not being forced to use any proxy. I've researched a bit and port 80 looks safe but I didn't have it in the LAN setting window prior to updating Java. So my question is, is port 80 suddenly appearing on the LAN settings safe or is this a virus?

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2014 - 05:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

http uses port 80. You're going to be fine with this enabled. Protect yourself locally and anything that comes through port 80 is going to be stopped.

Firewall

Anti-virus

Regular scans 

Router Security setup

etc.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

What is Port 80
Port 80 Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Details
How Web Servers Work

BTW, using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.
* How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa
* How do I uninstall Java on my Windows machine?
* Information about the Java Uninstall Tool for Windows

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers

* How to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers .
* How to turn off Java on your browser
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users