Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi - extension cables and antenna

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Figure09

Figure09

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hello everyone,

So I've got an USB wireless network adapter with a small 2dbi antenna that I can attach to it, and I have two questions.

First, will getting a bigger antenna (16 dbi) help me get better signal? (like this one http://www.edeal8.com/4ushop999/ad/ec0159el3012ed0261.jpg)

I am getting confused, as I read that these kind of antennas help boosting the router signal. Is that the same kind of antenna that I can attach to the USB wireless network adapter, or there are different kinds of antennas that are used for routers and USB dongles?

Second, I need an extension cable, but I cannot find a long enough (I need 18 meter one, 60 feet). Will getting two cables that are 30 feet and connecting them together do the work, is there going to be some kind of loss due to cable length?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

im not sure about the antennas but what kind of cable are we talking about?

#3 Figure09

Figure09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

It's this kind of cable:

http://imgur.com/C7n3UnW

It is 30 feet though, and I was thinking about getting two of them and connecting them, and the antenna should go to one end, and USB adapter on the other.

And this is the adapter:

http://imgur.com/DzWYbMo

Edited by Figure09, 16 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Ethernet cables can be up to 300 feet, so you could certainly connect them together if you have the connectors to do it. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

Adding a big antenna like that to a router or ap device you would be breaking FCC regulations.

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Using extension cables for WiFI is not something you want to do, particularly linking them together. At WiFi frequencies there is a lot of loss in connectors and cables. The bigger antenna will help a lot (and with a USB adapter, generally output power is about 80mw so you will still be within FCC specs) but realize the extra gain comes at the cost of coverage off the plane of the antenna. That is, an Omni collects and emits power in a "donut" shape with it's axis perpendicular to the antenna mast. The higher the gain the "flatter" the donut, so you may be able to pick up much further straight out from the antenna but not something sitting above or below that plane. I also seriously doubt the antenna pictured is anywhere near 16dBi. Professional omni's run up to about 12dBi but gain=length (in general). That one may hit 6dBi, but not much more. 

As for your cable, if you really, really want to do this, get the right length cable with the right connectors. Every connector costs quite a bit of signal loss at 2.4Ghz. Remember 3dB is half of your signal, 10dB is 90%. Go someplace like Streakwave.com and get low loss cable, like LMR400, in the length you need. Just the cable, at 60', is going to cost you a bit over 4dB plus connector losses, so your 6dBi antenna and cable now equals your 2bBi antenna. 

If it were me, I'd look at getting something like a Ubiquiti PicoStation (or use a Loco and get the advantage of a directional high gain antenna) and put it where you need the antenna, and run Ethernet back down to your local switch and connect that way. Use outdoor rated Cat5 to connect the radio if you go outdoors on the run - you will be kicking yourself in a year when weirdness happens if you don't. This setup gives you a much more powerful radio and decent antenna with effectively no loss down to your PC. If there is more than one Ethernet device on your local network you should set the PicoStation (or Loco) up as a router (or connect it directly to the "uplink" port of a router) so multiple devices can share the connection. Several other outfits (Mikrotik, Engenious, and others) make similar radios, I just happen to be most familiar with the Ubiquiti. 

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Some helpful info... http://www.afar.net/tutorials/fcc-rules/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users