Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my PC run Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

So, I have a pretty old PC, which hasn't been refreshed or anything for past 5 years, it is running XP.

The specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (3.00GHz);

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3;

RAM: 2GB DDR2;

HDD: 320GB (135GB currently used);

After 5 years of usage, it got pretty slow, so I decided to reinstall Windows on it. But I'm not sure if it supports Windows 7 and if I should take a step further. I can't run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor because my PC just freezes 10 seconds after a boot up, so I can't actually do anything on it.

Please advise me :D

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2014 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

That is a link that will tell you the minimum specs to run windows 7.  It looks like you should be good to go but look it over anyway

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Edit:

Sorry hadn't seen this:

I can't run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor because my PC just freezes 10 seconds after a boot up, so I can't actually do anything on it.

Edited by Starbuck, 16 June 2014 - 03:33 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Have you tried running the upgrade advisor in Safe Mode?  I also wonder about your processor.  If it's not a dual processor, Windows 7 would likely be pretty slow on it.  A different option for you might be to try Linux Mint or Ubuntu.  They run well on computers that run XP and both of them have user interfaces like Windows.  My preference is Mint, FWIW.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

The processor is Dual Core :D And, the system will be used by my grandparents who are used to XP, and I don't think they would like changes :D It will only have basic applications like Skype, Chrome etc. installed, it won't be used for anything except skype calling, web surfing and picture and movie watching.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

It sounds like a good possibility since you say it's a dual core CPU.  If you install the 32 bit version of Windows 7, I'd think it would run pretty well.  I recommend you consider Windows 8.1 with the free Classic Shell because it runs a little faster and takes a little less resource.  With Classic Shell, you can make Windows 8 look and feel like older versions of Windows with the Start menu and everything where it is in prior versions.  Of course when you upgrade to either 7 or 8.1, you need to be sure you can get the drivers you'll need.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Tomorrow, I'll have the access to the computer and will try the Upgrade Advisor in safe mode. First, I'll install Windows 7 and see how it performs. I might also add another GB of RAM if needed, and if Windows 7 doesn't perform well, I'll upgrade to 8.1. Thank you all again, I appreciate the help. :D

#8 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

I have a couple of Xp machines oldies like yours and i don't recommend win7  as said no dual core processor on the old gear

Also getting drivers for the mother board are not available also the graphic drivers most probably not available either

What will run the machine is a linux copy of Zorin which looks like win7 I have it and its not to bad for a free o.s.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

A (very) Late Hi -

Both of these are the 32bit version drivers listed for Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0 for XP, and updated to Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
BUT these are not from Intel site.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 drivers for Windows 7
Drivers are listed for these on the NVIDIA site.

2G RAM is usually enough (minimum) for Windows 7 Home Premium, and this is my option.

Windows 7 Home Premium just runs (to my mind) like XP SP3 on steroids.

(only if you want more help) Please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions (only post the link)

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

It will only have basic applications like Skype, Chrome etc. installed, it won't be used for anything except skype calling, web surfing and picture and movie watching.

Linux is an option here. Other than installing skype( easy even for Windows people) any Linux distro will do that out of the box, Faster and be more secure.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#11 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I like Mint Linux.  It comes pretty close to the look and feel of Windows, comes with Firefox and LibreOffice, and it just boots up and runs very well.  It's free AND it's supported.  It's sure worth a try.  Your grandparents are going to see changes whatever choice you make, but I don't Mint Linux would be more of a change than Windows 7 would.  

Good luck.

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Ive had win7 run on 5-10 year old laptops just fine, obviously it will be slow but Linux Mint would be more the way to go if they dont need it to do anytythign critial. Install Libre office and away you go.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

And you could always cheat a bit by making Mint look like XP.

Xfe Very similiar to Windows Explorer

Make Linux Mint 16 look like Windows XP | ITworld

Both easy to install.

Need Microsoft office.

How To Install Microsoft Office 2010 In Ubuntu With Wine

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 10:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users