Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Gaming PC Build Freezing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trbeebe14

trbeebe14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

I finished building my new gaming PC about 4 days ago. I thought all was well until the screen froze. I tried to crtl-alt-delete but to no avail. Every time the computer freezes it requires a hard reset from the switch or power button on the front of the PC. It freezes about every 10-15 minutes after reboot. When in a game, the image will freeze on screen, I will get a loud quick oscillating buzz for about 5 seconds which proceeds to cut off leaving only the frozen image and a needed reboot.

Specs:
Kingston HyprBlu DDR3 (2x4 8GB) RAM
MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE CPU
AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 270x
Kingston 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Corsair 500W PSU
Windows 8.1 64 bit OS

Programs I am using to try and resolve the problem:

• CCleaner to clear all registry errors etc. I still get some that come up, not sure what they are.
  • SlimDrivers to scan and update all my drivers
  • AVG and Malwarebytes to scan and clean
  • CPU Z to monitor...well...everything
  • MSI Afterburner for monitoring purposes as well
  • Memtest for RAM testing
  • Heaven 4.0 Benchmarking tool (benchmarking purposes only)

Steps I have taken:

• I have used all the programs as mentioned above
  • MSI Afterburner to boost GPU fan speed to prevent overheating
  • Cleared all registry files multiple times
  • Scanned and cleared all potential threats
  • Updated all drivers to the newest version.
  • Changed RAM voltage from AUTO to 1.652v in BIOS
  • Changed RAM Frequency from 800MHz to 1600MHz in BIOs (not sure why it was at 800 to begin with)
  • Ran RAM through Memtest for about 5 hours, no errors
  • Installed 3 extra 120mm case fans to prevent overheating
  • Installed Aftermarket heat sink fan
  • Added sufficient thermal paste.

Everything in this system is new except for the motherboard and cpu which were as far as I know very lightly used to almost not at all. I found it interesting that I left the PC on all night to install Guild Wars 2 and it did not freeze at all, but anytime I play a game it will after about 5 minutes. I am playing on high graphics settings but my set up should easily be able to handle this. I'm almost positive that nothing is overheating. I wiped my drives and reinstalled Windows and all driivers again to ensure correct installation...still froze. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've dropped a lot of cash into this rig just to have to reboot it every few minutes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

To me it sounds like its the video card, especially where you get the loud buzz and then the freezes. The fans on the card may be kicking in and then the card hangs. Did you try using the dedicated video by removing the AMD card just to see if you still get any freezing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users