Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop having tough time connecting to WiFi/Internet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 traptack

traptack

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

It's odd that my laptop is the only one in the household admist other laptops and smartphones that can't connect.

The issue:

I recently moved back from my apartments near campus and my computer never had issues connecting to the internet there. Flash forward to the day I move back, my computer access the internet fine the first day, it's the next day after that I notice I can't seem to connect at all???

It's always trying to connect to the wifi but if I do I get limited access, and then a few seconds It disconnect and this whole cycle of trying to connect then disconnecting happens over and over again.

you know how when you go to the network sharing and sharing center on windows 7? There's this map of   (your pc) --- (modem/wifi)-- Internet icon

Sometimes  I can get a yellow triangle hazard between  PC -- modem/wi/fi  but I always get an "X" from  wifi--- internet.

Keep in mind that all the other  computers in the house can access the internet just fine.

I've run a few windows diagnostics to see if the problem could be resolved, some that came up were

-DNS server not responding

-Bad gateway

-etc.

I've tried turning off the Modem and waiting for a bit to see if that happens, nothing.

I've run Malware anti malware and Avast in quick scan mode and they haven't picked up anything.

I'll try a few other programs too and try to update this as soon as I can. Not having internet means i'll have to run back and forth between laptops with a usb flash drive :P

I've gone into the advanced settings for the intel wireless adapter and looked up settings and clicked properties for Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and in the advanced tap i've manually inputted the number for the Default gateway that you get when you type ipconfig

restarted and nothing happened.

I've also tried disabling my network adapater for a few seconds and seeing if that could reset/resolve things = nothing.

So what's the deal? This is really an odd case (for me at least) given the circumstances.

Will resting it to factory settings or using a recovery disc resolve me of these problems?

i'm already backing up some files. 

** DNS Server not responsive 

Edited by traptack, 16 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

have you tried the command prompt and do IPconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew

#3 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

have you tried the command prompt and do IPconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew

nope but i'll try now!

#4 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

didn't work

here's the log 

Edited by traptack, 16 June 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#5 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

you need a space... ipconfig /release  .. its not one word

#6 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

It made no difference in results

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop. Go to device manager, Right click the wireless adapter and select properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

#8 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0891&SUBSYS_42228086&REV_C4

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Is the OS 32 or 64bit? I would uninstall any wireless software you have.

I would update the driver for the wireless. Here is the download page. The first two are for the driver only and are either for 32 or 64bit.

Wireless_16.11.0_Ds32.exe   32bit driver only
Wireless_16.11.0_Ds64.exe   64bit driver only

The bottom two include the intel wireless software along with the driver.

Wireless_16.11.0_s32.exe   32bit

Wireless_16.11.0_s64.exe   64bit

If the problem continues after the drive update, it may be a hardware issue.

#10 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Is the OS 32 or 64bit? I would uninstall any wireless software you have.

I would update the driver for the wireless. Here is the download page. The first two are for the driver only and are either for 32 or 64bit.

Wireless_16.11.0_Ds32.exe   32bit driver only
Wireless_16.11.0_Ds64.exe   64bit driver only

The bottom two include the intel wireless software along with the driver.

Wireless_16.11.0_s32.exe   32bit

Wireless_16.11.0_s64.exe   64bit

If the problem continues after the drive update, it may be a hardware issue.

I guess I would go for the bottom set? Seeing i have win 7 64 bit, I imagine that I would be running 64 bit. I forgot to check before I uninstalled.

Should I bother at all with Intel WiDI?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't bother with WiDI until the wireless problem is taken care of. Yes, download the last one with the Intel Software.

According to the intel site. I found the link for the WiDI software in case it has to be downloaded again.

How to update your software:
1. Close the Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) software.
2. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software.
3. Install the Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) software.

#12 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

I wouldn't bother with WiDI until the wireless problem is taken care of. Yes, download the last one with the Intel Software.

According to the intel site. I found the link for the WiDI software in case it has to be downloaded again.

How to update your software:
1. Close the Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) software.
2. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software.
3. Install the Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) software.

what exacly is Intel WiDI?

and what causes these proset wireless software to go janky?

Yes your solution actually worked!! so i'm quite happy and wish I could shower you with points.

Though I won't be absolutely confident till I can survive a week without any more run ins like this.

Thanks so much!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Your Welcome. Thanks for the upate. Here is a link for WiDi. If you didn't know what is was, you probably don't need it.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html

Edit: It also depends on if the computer can use it.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/wireless-display

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2014 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users