Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External PSU???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snowbound

snowbound

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I have a gateway sx2370-ur10p (bookshelf case) and want to run 2 monitors. Business computer, all spreadsheets and docs and remote desktop - no gaming. Can I do it using the existing vga and hdmi ports and 220w PSU - or do I need to install a higher watt PSU and a low profile video card?

I've done a lot of research and it seems a 400-500w PSU and a low profile card is the only REAL solution. However, it's a strange sized Chicony power supply and I cannot find a 400w that fits. Can I run an external PSU???

The real solution is a new PC, but this one is "corporate approved" right now as far as software, security, remote hook-up, etc.

Thanks!!!

Edited by snowbound, 16 June 2014 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

I don't see why you couldn't do it with the built in HDMI and VGA connectors.  Why do these other sources advise not to do that?  Having one on VGA is not a problem.  I doubt most people would notice any quality difference between a digital and analogue signal.  According to specs I found it's equipped with a Radeon HD 6550D on chip GPU, which is perfectly capable of running a couple of monitors - and probably more powerful than any separate video card you're likely to be able to fit in a case like that.

As you've found, systems like that are not really designed for upgrading..

Edited by jonuk76, 16 June 2014 - 04:34 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 snowbound

snowbound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Thanks jonuk.

So, if I have two monitors with vga and dvi connections, theoretically I should be able to run one vga to vga and the other dvi to hdmi ( via adapter)?

I experimented with a vga to hdmi adapter on my existing monitor, but it was very blurry. Maybe a digital/analog issue... (???)

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yes a HDMI to DVI-D adapter is fine.  Both are digital interfaces.  HDMI to VGA though is not possible without some sort of digital to analog conversion being done by the adaptor (HDMI ports do not as a rule output an analog signal).  I would suspect that the blurriness you saw is down to this conversion process.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 snowbound

snowbound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Results...

Monitor 1 - vga on monitor to vga on pc.
Monitor 2 - dvi on monitor to hdmi on pc via a $7.50 adapter cable from Amazon. (Be$t B#y wanted around $27.00 for the same $×#% ing cable and said it was a bargain - retail is supposedly $49.99. Yeah... RIGHT.).

Everything works PERFECTLY in the dual-screen mode without any pc additional investment, except for 2 shiny new 24" Asus monitors. But those were planned investments.

A sincere thanks for your advice, jonuk.

Edited by snowbound, 18 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

You're welcome :)  The best solutions are often the simplest ones!

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

And if you want to add a 3rd display, you can get this one:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1186&item_id=058990

It's USB interface. Great for office works and regular web surfing. No need to upgrade a graphics card or power supply.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users