Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New member and need to know where to post my issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kpouter

kpouter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Mod Edit: Moved to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~~ boopme

Hi everybody.  Found this site because of an issue I am having and I know nothing about computers.  Can someone tell me the appropriate place to post.  I saw something that says not the forums but the appropriate place but I dont know where that is and dont know what the problem is that I have. Where to go? Thanks in advance.

Edited by boopme, 16 June 2014 - 07:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Describe the problem. Be as descriptive as you can. We can tell you where to post then.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

And your Operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 kpouter

kpouter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

1. A *.doc file I used to us often was corrupted maybe? It closed and when I reopened it was a bunch of nonsense written.  Later on that day,
  2. A browser shut down and three things popped up:
    1. an opening webpage
    2. a text file and
    3. a shortcut, all under the same name.
  3. Now every now and then a dialogue box keeps opening up but not those 3 things. And it says less but still the “.”
  4. and I notice there are several folders with a copy of:
  5.  the file that was ruined
  6. a text file - DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT kinda long but I can send the page or if you like
  7. a link that goes to something tslking sbout type in one of thse things with the letters amd numbers and claims its gonna decrypt something, https://kpai7ycr7jxqkilp.tor2www.com/7okf
  8. another kind of link that has the globe icon; like a www kinda symbol as if I saved  a whole site or a different format than the other C:\Users\ADMIN\Documents\DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML

The folders are in so many files everywhere.- documents, pictures, startup, everywhere that I’ve looked.

Right after my document was ruined I downloaded the TrendMicro program but it didn’t find it so I deleted itand proceeded to search the net. And found this on the trendmicro site http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/us/malware/TROJ_CRYPTWALL.A looks like the same thing

and also found you all’s site which came up because a person user name pinwheel had an audio problem  and he/she was told to run a program and post a log received and the name of that “decrypt” named file in the log.

This leads me to say that I cant remember when but my compute gave this loud microphone feedback (?) sound, all of a sudden  and I couldn’t get it to stop so I snatched the battery so that I could restart it and the the sound stopped and never came back.  But I don’t recall hearing ads in the background.   I had been watching a lot of those cnn and AOL videos that start out with commercials in case that has something to do with it.

That’s all I can remember, right now.

WIN 7

Edited by kpouter, 16 June 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ouch. You've got some severe virus infections. I don't think you're going to be able to recover your data.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 kpouter

kpouter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

O thanks for giving me the details that I was going to ask (@ the HD capacity and which third party back up pgm). And I never took back ups seriously, but I like wpgwpg’s signature.  Too bad I didn’t see that sooner. I always wanted an external HD but I THOUGHT I HAD NO REASON  Didn’t know what to do with one I purchased and no one could tell me, so I took it back to the store. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I will forever be grateful EVERYONE!!

Edited by kpouter, 16 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Moved to General Security

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

CryptoWall is essentially CryptoDefense rebranded with a new name.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoDefense is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt Ransomware does and provide information for how to deal with it and possibly decrypt/recover your files.

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: New Crypto variant? CryptoWall...CryptoDefense with a new name. Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users