Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Windows 8 Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I ordered a SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB to replace my Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 2.5" 120GB.  Nothing wrong with the Intel drive, just not large enough, even off loading known space hogs.  I have applications that store databases and thumbnails in the user App Data folder, to the tune of over 12GB.

The drive should be in today.  I'm looking to put Windows 8.1 Pro on.  My machine originally had Windows 8 installed, but went back to Windows 7 as drivers were not mature on release causing the loss of over 4TB of data due to issues with RAID drivers.  The plan is to prep for this install this week and perform the upgrade this weekend.

Main software used:  Thunderbird - e-mail, Firefox - browser, World of Warcraft - gaming, iTunes, PowerDVD - DVD player, AnyDVD HD - DVD/Bluray ripper, CloneDVD mobile - convert DVDs to portable format, and DVD Profiler.

DVD Profiler, iTunes, and PowerDVD are the programs that were the major contributors to my space issues. 

I'm looking for advice and articles to off load as much as possible from the SSD drive to a mechanical drive.  I have over 30TB of mechanical drive space available, so the only real concern is moving as much as possible off of C:.  World of Warcraft will be installed on C: to provide the best in game experience.  I have had issues in the past where updates for World of Warcraft were downloaded to C:, then had to be extracted to C:, resulting in not having enough space for the install.

There is no pressure for this upgrade as the drive is new I will be able to simply reconnect the existing drive to have a working machine.

Edited by Kilroy, 16 June 2014 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

I know you can move the My Documents folder to another drive, and you can install programs to other drives, usually by selecting the custom install option.  You can move your paging file too, and that's a very good idea because SSDs have a limit to the no. of writes and the paging file is constantly being updated.  The hiberfile.sys takes 6 MB on my laptop, and I believe (but not certain about this one) it can moved too.

Good luck, Kilroy.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

All of that has been done with the current install.  Everything is stored on my P: drive, one of my 3TB drives.  The problem has been things storing things in C:\Users\User\AppData.  I remembered two more programs ACDSee and Amazon Music.  A hibernation file would cost me 32GB, so I'm not going to be doing that.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

complete move of users directory to different drive or partition

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

otherwise I would just make sure your itunes folder is on another drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users