Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly can't boot to Windows 8.1, repair not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terraviper-5

Terraviper-5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hi!

I was on Windows 7 64-bit from 2009, never had any serious issue, never had to use recovery images, only a few GPU driver crashes. But because it became slower and full of stuff, I decided to switch to new Windows 8.1 that I got for free as a student. So I bought a new HDD, partitioned it so that system has 80GB (short stroke) and installed Windows 8.1. I kept Windows 7 to slowly transfer all data and just in case something goes wrong (thank God I kept it). Windows 8.1 ofcourse drove over Windows 7's MBR, so I had to boot into Windows 7 via F12 in BIOS. So I was using Windows 8.1 for only two weeks or so, just installed the programs I need, than one day I booted into it and after normal login screen I got that screen that is attached to this post. Since I couldnt do anyting, I forcefully rebooted and got it again. But on the next reboot, I got "attempting repair" screen, which ofcourse failed and showed troubleshoot menu. Anything I click there doesnt work. Refreshing, repairing, at first I didnt even have the startup options, then they miraculously appeared, I selected "boot in safe mode", but that led me to the same troubleshoot screen and the startup options disappeared again. There are no images available since its a brand new system. I tried rebuilding BCD and fixing MBR in CMD, but that didnt work either. When I booted to Windows 7, I got "corrupted recycle bin" error on the same partition that windows 8.1 is installed on. I tried using dskchk on Windows 8.1 partition (from Windows 7 My Computer) but all it did was become unavailable for 10 minutes. I used HD Tune to check it then and it showed no errors. I used USB key where my windows 8.1 installation files are but when I click Repair it shows the same screen as before.

I really dont know what to do anymore, besides fresh install, but Im afraid if it can happen again Ill have to install all programs over and over again, and I dont have time for that >.< Please if anyone encountered and solved problem like this before, help! If anything, I want to know why it happened more than save the Windows installation.

Windows/System32/logs/srt/SrtTrail.txt:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk1
Windows directory = D:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 32 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 109 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 172 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 125 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found: 
Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0xc1
Time taken = 1313 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0x490
Time taken = 125 ms

Attached File  2014-06-14 23.08.05.jpg   40.98KB   0 downloads

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz: 
44 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM
12,0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EX58-UD3R (Socket 1366): 
36 °C

Graphics
DELL U2412M (1920x1200@60Hz)

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner): 
36 °C

Storage
1397GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (SATA): 
35 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 ATA Device (SATA): 
31 °C

Optical Drives

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-880U ATA Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Attached Files

Edited by Terraviper-5, 16 June 2014 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

I did something similar on 2 desktops a year and a half ago, and have never had any problems.  I do back up my systems to external hard drives so that I can easily recover when/if something like this happens.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Terraviper-5

Terraviper-5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

I did something similar on 2 desktops a year and a half ago, and have never had any problems.  I do back up my systems to external hard drives so that I can easily recover when/if something like this happens.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

You got a point, I will do a system image after I set everything up again, since the system partition is only 80GB large it wont be a big problem any longer. Thanks!

#4 Terraviper-5

Terraviper-5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I just found out that a picture I had on desktop of Windows 8.1 somehow got corrupted o.O

Edit: I successfully ran a dskchk now:

untitled.png

Edited by Terraviper-5, 16 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users