Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't boot after running Norton Power Erase

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BDale65

BDale65

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Norton identified "Trojan Viknuk Activity 3" on my machine so I tried to clear it by running Power Eraser.  Norton rebooted the machine and now it won't complete the Windows boot process.  It runs through the posting process, displays the Windows splash screen, hangs up for a couple of minutes and then starts over again.  I have tried booting into safe mode with the same results.  I tried booting to my Windows repair disc and it could not identify anything to fix.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2014 - 12:08 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Welcome,

Using the installation disk have you tried letting the software do a startup repair?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 BDale65

BDale65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for your reply.  If you mean the Windows software recovery disk, yes I have tried that.  If you mean something from Norton, no I haven't tried that.  I think I loaded Norton from a download so all I have from them is on my hard drive.  Is there something that I can download to a disk or flash drive or would I have needed to create a recovery disc while the machine was working?

#4 BDale65

BDale65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I've found the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool online.  I think that's probably what you're talking about.  i will download that and try it tonight.  Thanks.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

The NBRT might do it but I was thinking of the windows installation disk, it has a startup recovery utility which might solve the problem

Keep us posted

Dick E

#6 BDale65

BDale65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Update:  I tried the Windows installation disk last night.  The recovery utility was not able to fix it.  I am hoping to be able to get someone with a working computer to create a NBRT disk for me today so that I can try that tonight.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

For your reference. Sorry if you already have the link. Here are the steps required to restore a Norton Eraser session.

https://one.norton.com/Support/Solutions/v70458971_EndUserProfile_en_us

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#8 BDale65

BDale65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

NBRT claimed success on removing the Viknuk trojan as well as a reported repair to my Registry but the machine would still not boot.  I ran the Windows repair utility, which this time also claimed to have found and repaired an issue.  Up until now, the Windows repair tool always said that it found nothing wrong so this latest run was encouraging.  Unfortunately, it still won't boot.  Same symptoms...endless loop of post, Windows splash screen, shut down, start over.  I don't know what else to do but to reload Windows from my 2009 install disk, let windows go through all of the past 5 years of updates and then reload all of my applications.  Not looking forward to that.  Any ideas to avoid this?  Thanks for everyones help so far.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Viknuk has been reported as being a very bad actor

I'm going to request one of the moderators move you into the 'i think I'm infected' forum where you can get the help you need to finish cleaning your system. Please don't try to do it yourself, that could make it worse.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hello.

Security researchers have come across a Trojan dubbed as “Viknok,” which targets Windows users’ online banking credentials, is currently being used to further click fraud scams. The Trojan was firstly detected in April 2013 and now it has been attributed to over 16,500 infections which occurred in the first week of May. Scammers had increasingly leveraged the Trojan over the past six months, though an actual rise was detected when 22,000 infections occurred. The Trojan targets DLL [dynamic link library] files with a malicious payload and has evolved into a sophisticated threat capable of obtaining elevated operating system privileges in order to infect files on multiple Windows platforms, including the 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista and 7. Once the Trojan infects users, attackers use the malware to bolster click fraud campaigns where users are unknowingly redirected to ads. It was also noted that some victims heard “random audio playback through their compromised computers,” due to various ads that played in the background.

CERT-MU

DO NOT bank on here until clean.

Please follow this Preparation Guide,  and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users