Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't print PDFs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

We have a strange situation at work. There is one computer that can only print so many PDFs until it decides to stop until the computer is completely restarted. The number can be anywhere from two to twenty. I have tried multiple PDF readers including both Adobe and Foxit but it doesn't look to make a difference.

In this time, I can still print other documents such as txt files. I was able to print a page with just the word "test". 

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 and Adobe reader are both up to date. I also have tried two different printers, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Edited by RainbowSix, 16 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hi,

WAG:  check the print spooler - it sounds like it's not dumping the docs as they are printed [a PDF thing?]

The cold boot would clear that cache, problem solved.

The printer drivers may be the cause since it is confined to the one machnie

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I think I'd check for malware and corrupt files.  For malware download and install the free Malwarebytes, get it up to date, and run a scan.  Then click Start and type CMD in the search box.  Right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

WAG:  check the print spooler - it sounds like it's not dumping the docs as they are printed [a PDF thing?]

The cold boot would clear that cache, problem solved.

The printer drivers may be the cause since it is confined to the one machnie

Keep us posted

Do you know where the cache is stored so the files can be manually removed?

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

Sorry I do not

Dick E

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

It's okay, I found it.

c:\system32\spool\printers\

Thanks.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Did / Does that help?

Thanks

Dick E

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

You might want to try the Foxit PDF reader.  It works well and is a popular alternative to Adobe.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users