Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 misjudgedinall

misjudgedinall

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hi I am Jay.

I am a computer tech at a hospital in Michigan. I specialize in printers. Primarily Xerox, Lexmark, Cannon, and HP. 

I enjoy building and modding my own equipment.

Do LCD replacement other repair on the side for friends and family.

Thank you for letting me join for free! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

:welcome:

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 misjudgedinall

misjudgedinall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

I am looking for good ideas to automate things.  I am thinking ways to use my computers to

A, Better make use of the computer, justify the purchase of it B) 

B, Make my life better

C, Give me more free time

D, Make me feel cool

Any ideas?

Edited by misjudgedinall, 18 June 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Tough to give an answer without more specific "things" to automate. Computers can do many things and can be setup to do nearly anything on their own. The question first is what exactly do you want it to do. After you know the "what", I may be able to tell you the "how". If you want more free time, what is it that is currently taking up the most time?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 misjudgedinall

misjudgedinall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I spend most of my time working,

Working is where automation magic has really shown its value. Where it took me three hours to image a computer and then I still had manual programs to install and files to copy for the user, I can now do everything in less than an hour by pressing a button and typing in a number.

Of course I work to get money, and I was big into bitcoins when they first came out. It was an amazing way to make money without doing much. As long as the mining was profitable. 

So, outside of that I am thinking around the house. 

Here is an idea that I've though of:

I don't have a door bell. But I do have a webcam. I can set the webcam up to make a doorbell sound when it see motion and set it in a spot where it would only see motion when someone walks up to the door.

Better yet, I'd like my computer to either see my face or hear my voice and unlock, then relock when I go away.

Similar idea with webcams and my computer, when I come home I'd be nice if computers turn on.

I also want the computer to "track" what I do better to provide reports to show patterns. Maybe create a better idea of how my day goes so that I can continue to look for neat ways to make my life fun with technology.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

There may be some software solutions out there for those uses. I have not looked into webcam/security camera alerts. If it hasn't been done, it would take a bit of clever programming to perform those tasks. It would probably be easier to setup a phone to turn on devices when you get home rather than a webcam. The phone is already tied to you via some account and knows your location by gps if you allow it. I know there are automatic unlocking software for phones and also automatic lights, temperature control etc.

I don't know how a webcam would recognize one person from another without some very sophisticated facial recognition software. Facebook apparently has one of the best facial reconginition software that apparently is as good as a human at recognizing faces.

#7 misjudgedinall

misjudgedinall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'd say that its fun to go back and look at what I typed in 2014 about myself. 

I am still interested in automation. I really like Arduinos and Raspberri Pi. 

I have been doing solar power setup at my house. I like the ability to based on a condition have an action occur.

I am also working on an electric bike controller and some neat ideas around making electric bikes better. 

I am super interested in Virtual Currencies. Automation of making money? YEA!

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

There are many opportunities in virtual currency to make money, there are many people who trade them with bots. I haven't gotten in on it yet myself but have thought about it a few times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users