Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost sound after a computer crash, shows sound working but can't hear a thing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Urine_Bubbles

Urine_Bubbles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

After closing a tab heavy google chrome window my pc had a crash during this crash the 1 second of the song that was playing repeated til the pc rebooted. After this tho I no longer have any sound at all from my computer. I'm running windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 installed. My speakers work I checked them with my mp3 player and the pc isn't on mute or turned down to zero. The strange part that confuses me tho is that the sound mixer window shows audio levels when i do play music or youtube but even with volume at full blast there is no audio as a work around for the time being i've set my pc to broadcast my pc's audio and then just use my lap top to tune into my station to listen to my music but this is getting old really quick when i check my sound card (realtek high definition audio?) in device manager it says 'this device is working properly' is it possible my soundcard broke/fried and it still showing it fine with audio levels moving?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

I've seen that before. Try uninstalling then re-installing the drivers. Worked for me.

#3 Urine_Bubbles

Urine_Bubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Sadly this did not work for me, I had tried it before with no luck but being I am on a help site tried it again as suggested, previously I've also tried rolling back the driver and that did not work either :(

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

At this point I would try System Restore back to before the problem occurred.

#5 Urine_Bubbles

Urine_Bubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Ashamed to admit it but no System restore points, and I can't really find sure signs that would indicate my sound card is fried or my drivers having any issues. Even tried the Microsoft Fix It Audio Playback and it didn't detect any issues. Which is frustrating since there clearly is an issue.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Ummm, that's a duzey...

I would agree that your sound card is probably fine, Your registry is probably corrupted, hence the system restore idea.

You could try removing the device from the system with the device manager, restart, then re-installing the driver. Might do it.

#7 Urine_Bubbles

Urine_Bubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

I gave that a shot with no avail, but since you mentioned the registry I went to find some tools to help me with that ended up getting "Windows Repair (All-in-One)" while running a malware scanner. Ran the 'system file check' with windows repair all in one. the Malware found 4 possible culprits which were named "ie4uinit.exe" fixed those. Windows repair said it fixed a few things but was not able to fix all files, but also suggested when shutting down to unplug the power cord and hit the power button to get out all the electricity. Now I list all these things because after I did them when i started my pc back up sound came back.

Thanks for your help TsVk! I had posted on microsoft forums as well didnt get no replies there at all, and even though you didn't give the direct solution you working with me on it a little lead to solution so thanks alot to you!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

That's a great tool I agree, good thinking. Way to go. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users