Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.pdf reader and malware?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

I just tried to install adobe pdf reader and it seemed to have no option but to install one lot of additional programs or another.

Can anyone recommend a pdf reader that doesn't push malware on you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

I use PDF-XChange,.. has a few more features than other readers also. There's loads of varying opinions on the best free one.

#3 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

I tried to install this, MBAM intervened.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

If you just want a PDF reader I'd recommend Sumatra PDF.  It's small and quick.  For more features, I'd recommend PDF X-Change Viewer.  If MBAM is alerting you about the latter it's most because it's bundled with the terrible Ask Toolbar.  I'd recommend you choose the PORTABLE version of either software.  That way you will avoid getting any adware.  I use the portable versions of both programs and I have absolutely no problems.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Try the Foxit PDF reader.  It's pretty popular and has worked well for me.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Try the Foxit PDF reader.  It's pretty popular and has worked well for me.

I use Foxit Reader, but when installing it use Custom, as it will also attempt to install crap you probably wouldn't want. Other than that, it's a good PDF reader.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

+1 PDF-XChange Viewer

I use to recommend Foxit Reader but they too are bundling other software...PureLeads, AVG Secure Search, or Google Toolbar.

Free PDF Reader is another alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

google chrome contains a pdf viewer(for online and offline use), i removed adobe pdf reader to use chrome instead. however when i did last install an adobe product (flash player) they had bundled crap with it but i was able to untick the options for it to prevent the rubbish installing.

obviously enough people don't know about this feature of chrome that spammers still think it worth advertising "download our (start flashing text)free(/flashing text) pdf reader...small print:it's malware" software all over the place

Edited by rp88, 30 July 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Another vote for PDF-XChange Viewer...BTW, for those who disable auto-update (like I do) updated to v 2.5.309.0 on July 28 2014

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads?key=ed93cc00e9c27a5effcc1c2f3cf16f89

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

when i did last install an adobe product (flash player) they had bundled crap with it but i was able to untick the options for it to prevent the rubbish installing.

Many programs, toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions come bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user) as a common practice by legitimate vendors. In some cases, they may be included in Installers or Downloaders found at hosting sites such as CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows.
* Adobe Reader includes Google Chrome or McAfee Security Scan pre-checked by default during installation
* Adobe ShockwavePlayer includes Google Chrome or Norton Security Scan pre-checked by default during installation
* Java includes Ask Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* CCleaner (standard installer) includes Yahoo Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* Unlocker includes Babylon Toolbar or Delta Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* GOM Player includes Ask Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* GIMP includes AVG SafeGuard/Secure Search toolbar pre-checked by default during installation

Calendar Of Updates maintains a comprehensive list of common software bundled with unwanted add-ons called the:
Installers Hall of Shame.

When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

+1 for PDF Sumatra. An it has a smaller attack surface than other readers, because it doesn't support JavaScript.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users