Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring from a Windows 7 System Image to New Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vikek

vikek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hi everyone. First post at BC.

I'm trying to restore from a system image to the  single 1TB HDD that is working from my RAID 0 Array after one of the member disks gave up the ghost, until I replace the other one, but unfortunately it would appear that even though my system image is only around 500GB and I'm restoring to a 1TB disk it fails because the destination partition needs to be as big or bigger than the original partition from which the image was made. Now I don't know if that means the entire RAID disk ie 1.8 TB or just the original C drive (virtual disk) with a partition around 900 GB. I can't remember exactly but if it was bigger than the current 931 GB partition it will fail. At least I hope that is the situation, as all I need to do is replace the second disk and rebuilt the RAID Assembly. My question is now: I know that you need to have 2 identical drives for RAID 0 but how identical do they need to be? Do they need to be the same make and model as well as the same size. I presume they both need to have the same spin speed ie 7,200 rpm, but what about cache size and SATA type eg II or III. In other words can I buy a similar spec HDD to go with the original working one or would I need to get 2 new identical drives as the original is at least 4 years old?

Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

Did you format the disk before adding it to the array?

#3 vikek

vikek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

The disk I have at the moment was one member of the original two disk RAID 0 Array. The second member died. As a temporary measure, before buying a new disk, I tried to restore my system image to just the living disk after formatting and selecting it as the destination disk, ensuring that it was not selected as excluded in the exclude disks dialog box.  When system image restore starts it says getting ready to restore System Image then brings up the error: "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found". I am therefore assuming that the 931GB partition on the formatted disk is slightly smaller that the original source partition, even though the image size itself is only just over 500GB.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

As I understand it, one of your RAID type 0 disks has died... the other has useless data.

There is no redundancy with RAID 0.

#5 vikek

vikek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Thank you. You have misunderstood me. I realise that the second member of the array has useless data. I'm not trying to get data off the working HDD. As I said, I have formatted that. What I'm trying to do is restore a system image to the working, formatted disk from an external USB hard disk.

Edited by vikek, 17 June 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

I'm sorry it's not better news mate.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

Thank you. You have misunderstood me. I realise that the second member of the array has useless data. I'm not trying to get data off the working HDD. As I said, I have formatted that. What I'm trying to do is restore a system image to the working, formatted disk from an external USB hard disk.

Ah, ok. I'm with you now... somehow what you typed was very confusing to me earlier. It would seem logical to me that the whole array would be the restore point rather than the disk, despite the data size. So yeah, I would agree you need the full array functioning again to restore the image. I've little experience with RAID 0 specifically though, it's just the apparent explanation. (because of the drivers and file structure)

As to your initial questions about disk replacement. 4yrs is a pretty good run for a raid disk, and I'm sure you don't want to be doing this same exercise again in 6mnths-1yr. Better off just replacing both or changing your setup to a RAID config with redundancy. Could use the spare as an additional image drive...

#8 vikek

vikek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

TsVk, thanks mate. Coincidentally, that's exactly what I have already decided. I have just ordered 2x 2TB HDDs. with the plan to build them into a RAID 1 Assembly so that I have 2TB of storage with redundancy. I'm going to use the single 1TB disk from the old Array as a separate data disk. I just hope that once they are set up I will simply be able to restore my system image back to the new RAID 1 Assembly without Windows telling me that it can't find a disk to restore the system image to. If that happens again I'm stuffed. At least I also have a backup of all my data separate from the system image that I know can be restored. I'll just have to take forever re-installing all my programs and settings. 

Do you know if I have to restore the image back to the same RAID configuration from which it came ie would I need to go back to RAID 0 in order for the system image restore to work. I do hope not!

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

I didn't know... but Google tells me it is a re-installation job to swap from RAID 0 to RAID 1...

edit: but I'm glad I kept looking. Stack Exchange says you can restore the 0 type to a 1 type. Here's the topic.

Edited by TsVk!, 17 June 2014 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users